Problem with Landmark

Technus Grayman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Our group owns a freestanding open sim. I was the purchaser of record.

I created a landmark to a skybox I created. It works fine for me. It will not work for a friend, or for my wife who is part of our group.

My wife created a landmark in the skybox. It will not work for her. She also can not tp elsewhere on our sim.

I hope someone can help us figure out what is going wrong, and even more importantly, how to fix it so that we can give a LM to our friends so they can use it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Technus Grayman

9 answers to this question

Hello Technus,

"will not work" means they can not TP to the sim via the Landmark or "will not work" means they do not reach the skybox via the LM but are placed at a different location? If the second is the case, I suspect there is a Landingpoint set on the parcel which rerouted them to a certain location. Please, check the settings in "About Land ..." - "Options" at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps, Cobra

• Like 1

Cobra, thank you for your response. I didn't think about how specific I needed to be.Your response helped me to realize that.

When I wrote that it would not work what happens is that their avatar fails to leave the place from which they started. They are unable to get to the destination on the sim at all. And this doesn't seem to matter whether they attempt it from elsewhere on the sim, or from an entirely different sim.

I have tried setting a landing point in the skybox but have not yet been able to have anyone else test it to see if that helps them to get there. Of course then, if we want them to come to meet us elsewhere in the sim, we are in trouble! lol

What really has me baffled is that I have no problem doing a tp elsewhere on the sim at al but everyone else seems to have a problem.

Is it possibly related to our being on an open or homestead sim that is independent from any other sim?

And no matter the cause, we still need to figure out how to get around it. Thanks again for your answer Cobra.

Technus Grayman

Technus

Your wife and friend could set their home to be in the skybox they would then simply need to tp home.

You may need to create/put them in a role in the group that allows them to set their home for this to work.

As for others TP'ing to a specific location on the island, if you are at that location you can tp them directly to you.

The tp routing to the landing point only applies to AV's TP'ing to the island from a LM/Seach etc

Also I believe once a user is on the sim they can then TP to other places on the sim without problems, it's just the initial entry to the sim that is restricted to the landing point.

• Like 1

Hi Niall.  Thanks for your information. This is useful to know but it still does not quite answer my predicament.

I'm glad to know that the Landing Point only applies to people who are coming to the sim from other places. I am glad to know that even with a Landing Point set, folks should be able to TP elsewhere in the sim without a problem. Unfortunately, right now they ARE having a problem (at least prior to my setting a Landing Point). When they get online later, I will ask them to test the system again. As it was last night, they could not TP elsewhere in the sim from a Landmark. I could send them a tp, but I want folks to be able to get to our skybox even if I am not there....

So I am still seeking answers. I appreciate the help each of you have been so far. I eagerly await the next answer.

Technus Grayman

Well if you want everyone to be able to TP to the skybox you could just set the TP routing to allow TP's to anywhere

But if you need a little more control then a couple of workarounds spring to minde

1) A TP pad near the landing point, configured to only allow certian AV's to use

2) Create a sperate parcel on the land covering the footprint of the Skybox, and set the parcel to allow TP's to anywhere. while leaving the rest of the sim restricted to the landing point.

Two things might help your friends:

• Clearing their Cache
  • Region Restart

And, have they tried TPing to your group SIM from a different location?  Here's a "Troubleshooting Teleporting" knowledge base WIKI link for you. It includes a number of suggestions, including taking off attachments -- But, if your friends only have trouble to your group SIM, try the 2 options I listed above first.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Troubleshooting_teleporting

Hope this helps.

You can TP anywhere because you are the owner of the sim. However, if you have a landing point set, all other avatars, unless you have them set up in your group differently, can only TP to that point. If they try to TP to another point on the sim, they will still end up at the TP point. There are 2 ways around this. One is to create your group, set the land to the group and then give them a tag that allows them to TP around. The other is to set up a TP system and set the system to group. The Fnordian system is great. You set it out and it will automatically link to all the others in the same sim that you own, no setup required. You can set certain pads to group only or avatar only access as well. Hope that helps.

Great replies you might also like to look at the Video Parcel access controls

I'd also check the Region/Estate Window - Estate tab

Allowed Residents list: If Public Access is not checked, this list specifies which people are permitted to see and enter the Estate. If Public Access is checked, this list is used to specify Residents who have permission to post events on your Estate.

Allowed Groups list: Members of the specific groups listed have access to the Estate.

Banned Residents list: Residents added to this list are not able to access your Estate.

Allow Public Access: When checked, this setting allows access to the Estate without being specifically on the Allowed Residents list.

Restrict Access To:  Allows you to restrict access based on two parameters:

• Residents with payment info on file: Ifthis box is checked, only Residents who have payment information onfile with Linden Lab are allowed access to Regions in your Estate.
  • Age-verified adults:If this box is checked, the only Residents who can get into Regions inyour Estate are adults who have been age-verified by Linden Lab. Formore information about age verification, see How to become verified as an adult.

Allow Direct Teleport: Allows people to teleportdirectly to the Estate by clicking on it on the map. If you set alanding point on the parcel, that determines where exactly they end up.You can also disable this (the default behaviour) and use thetraditional telehub method.

And About Land window - Options & Access tabs

Create Landmarks- Checking this lets others create a landmark, which serves as abookmark to the land. Usually best left on -- if you want privacy, see Access controls below.

Landing Point - Set a landing point where people will arrive if visiting your land. Click Setto place the landing point where you're standing. This is where peoplewill be directed to if they teleport to your land, including fromSearch. For example, if you're building a space station, you can setthe landing point high in the sky so people don't get lost on theground looking for it.

Teleport Routing - Use this dropdown menu to select one of the following options:

• Blocked - Prevents Residents from teleporting to your parcel.
  • Landing Point - Forces all Residents to land at your specified landing point.
  • Anywhere - Allows Residents to teleport to anywhere in your parcel.

Each has its uses depending on your intent. For example, if you'rebuilding a game with secret areas and divided into multiple parcels,you can choose Blocked for some parcels so people don't accidentally spoil surprises, but choose Landing Point for the entrance parcel so everyone can see the instructions sign you've posted.

For Group only Access, see Group Information: Members & Roles : Abilities : Parcel Powers     750px-Groups.jpg

Allow always 'Create Landmark' and Allow 'Set home to here' on group land

Thanks to all of you who replied in an attempt to help me figure out this mess.

I actually got the answer to my problem inworld from another resident (WikkedBytch Whitfield). She asked whether or not I had clicked "Allow Direct Transport" in the Region/Estate settings. It turns out that I had not. I did that and now others have no problems teleporting anywhere on the SIM.

Amazing how sometimes, there is a simple answer to the question...

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Technus Grayman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.