Second Life will not open

maendaleo5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have registered and downloaded Second Life.  The icon is on my desktop and on my start menu but the program fails to launch.   I am using Firefox and a high speed satelite hookup.  My system is Windows 7Ulitmate with a Celeron processor.

2 answers to this question

The satellite connection may be the real challenge.  Bandwidth won't be the issue, but ping time could be horrendous.  Unlike online games that you may have played, SL moves data back and forth between your computer and its servers all the time, updating 45 times a second. If ping time is much over about 150 msec, the servers and your viewer can be way out of sync.  That can mean mild to serious lag issues -- rubber-banding or jittery movements -- or can result in spontaneous timeouts, in which you simply lose the connection.  This is a common problem for people who live far from Linden Lab's server farms in CA and TX -- say, people living in Australia -- and could be for you as well, considering the distance a signal has to travel to a satellite and back.

BTW, your mention of Firefox prompts me to ask whether you are trying to launch your SL viewer through the web browser.  If so, don't, at least for now.  That's not the "normal" way of entering SL, until you have taught your browser what to do with the peculiar URL that acts as a portal to your viewer.  Instead, log in by clicking on the viewer icon on your desktop.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.