Can not sign on from home computer

Karita Mhia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I created an account to try out Second life with  a friend. Went through the whole process , downloaded client  etc.  Went to log in for the first time and.. got a message stating that I can not log on from the computer I was using.  Thats..odd.  My friend is perfectly capable of running Secondlife on her computer with out difficulty and she does not even have an updated graphics card.. My system meets or surpasses all the requirements.

I have tried contacting support but have gotten no further on the problem. In the mean time I can log from my friends computer or she can for me but it would be more enjoyable for us to play together.

Any clue as to what could be preventing me from logging on from my home computer? An IP ban was suggested when I asked elsewhere but no one has ever had an account before in my household so I dont know how this would be possible.

Help :<

9 answers to this question

If you receive the error message you stated, it is the result of the computer being blocked access from SL servers.... I'll post the FAQ below just for fyi purposes.

There is hope though as one recent poster to this forum discovered - she got that same error message, was told the same (your blocked due to banned IP), like you she didn't see how this was at all possible... however as it happens she had a "dynamic IP" that changes; her bad luck was it changed to someone's IP who'd been banned a year ago.  Chances are this could be the senario you are facing; I'd suggest to Support they investigate this possibility.

Also, check your PMs, I'll send more info privately.

Why does Second Life say "You cannot log into Second Life from this location"?

This error message generally indicates you have been blocked from the Second Life servers by Linden Lab. These blocks may be automatically placed as the result of:

• Documented cases of fraud
  • Use of Second Life by a minor
  • Exceptionally flagrant abuse activity

Note that these actions may not have occurred on the account you are attempting to log in with!

The most common circumstances that result in this message are:

• Someone in your household has committed one of the "bad acts" listed above
  • Someone in your household has used a Second Life account belonging to another person, who has committed a "bad act" listed above
  • Someone in your household has provided their Second Life account and password to another person, who has committed a "bad act" listed above

• Like 1

This may sound very weird, but - has that computer got a Sony USB Pen Drive attached?

The reason I ask this is that early Sony USB pen drives of a particular series came with a compression/decompression utility that for some reason triggered the machine hash error in Second Life.  I had a desktop where if the USB pen drive was in a USB port and I ran Second Life I got the error "You cannot sign on to Second Life from this machine".  Remove the USB drive and it worked fine.  I still have no idea why, but it's something to check if that machine and indeed that household has NEVER played Second Life before, because we were able to replicate the error using the pen drive in other machines, so it was definitely that to blame.

• Like 1

Unfortunatly no, no USB drive. As for connection at home I have DSL I'm plugged directly into our modem.  It has...five ethernet ports, and also doubles as a wireless modem. How would I check for the Dynamic IP?  As far as Im aware Ive had the same IP for the last two years .

talk to your DSL provider and get them to give you a different IP.  if it is an IP ban that should hopefully fix it, but you still need to try get LL to remove that ban in case the DHCP server at your provider gives it to you again.  i wouldn't think it would be a hardware ban, but you can check that by connecting a different computer to the modem and see if the problem persists. worst case scenario if LL won't lift the ban and the DSL provider won't change the IP, you may have to switch providers to get a new IP.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.