Lowering the prim count of an object

Anaktay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am trying to edit a modifiable object. I would like to lower the prim count because there is a 40 prim limit on the sim I live on. Is it possible to lower the prim count even if I'm changing the features of the object? I'm mostly trying to modify furniture and home decor.

Thanks,

Anak'tay

2 answers to this question

Yes.  Probably the easiest way is to adjust its Physics Shape.  Select the item and then navigate to the Features tab in your Edit tool to change it from Physics Shape type PRIM to CONVEX HULL.

You may want to do that in a sandbox, however.  If your object contains complex prims (torii or cut and hollowed prims) or sculpties, making that change will actually make its L.I. increase instead of decrease.  If your parcel is already close to the prim limit, that action will potentially force the object back to your Lost & Found folder before you have a chance to change your mind.

If that does happen, don't panic. You can set individual prims in the linkset (except for the root prim) to Physics Shape Type NONE.  That will remove them from the L.I. calculation.  It will also make them phantom, so don't use that trick if those are prims that you want to sit on.

• Like 2

Rolig, as always, has good advice.

However, you may find it difficult to modify your furniture to get the results you want.  Most creators do try to minimize the land impact of their creations in the first place, so there might not be a lot of room for improvement left.

There are a couple of alternatives.

1.  Move to a place that offers a larger prim allowance.  This will, of course, probably cost you more money.  But 40 is a rock bottom allowance...why, even a Linden Home offers 117!

2.  Shop for low prim furniture.  There are several places that specialize in furniture that is low prim...even ONE prim!  I have a whole living room set that's only about 6.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.