I have a two part question:: Where can I put a sky box and what is the size limit for a sky box?

Arielle6768

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

OK...I want to put up a skybox but wold like to know:

1--where is a skybox allowed and not allowed

2--what size requirements are there?

I know this sounds a bit stupid, but I'd rather ask a dumb question (or 2) than buy land and get something that's WAY too big to fit.....I'd rather follow the rules than not....(I want happy neighbours and to stay in good graces with LL)

Arielle

2 answers to this question

Hi Arielle,

Here's another thread dealing with skyboxes...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land/ok-how-do-you-rez-your-sky-box-and-how-far-up-should-it-be/qaq-p/2486723

As for where they're allowed, that will depend on whether you're renting directly from Linden Lab, or indirectly though a landlord. On mainland, you must stay within the boundaries of your parcel and can build at virtually any height (within the 4096m limit). Of course you will want to avoid building near other skyboxes.

On private sims, you may have similar restrictions... or not. It depends on how the landlord handles rentals. Where I live, I can locate my skybox anywhere over the sim that I please, and can make it as large as I wish, so long as nobody else complains. I'm also allowed to rez things like building platforms and photo booths well up in the sky. You should be able to do the same on your own parcel. There are private estates that don't allow skyboxes at all. It'll all depend on the place an any convenant restrictions in place.

Good luck, and have fun living in the sky!

• Like 1

A skybox is like any other home in Second Life...you need land to put it on...er, above...and how much land you have determines how large a skybox you can have there.  There are two factors to consider:  physical size, and land impact (think, number of prims.)

On a 512 square meter parcel, you can have up to 117 prims.  Larger parcels allow more prims, until with a full region, 65,536 square meters, you can have up to 15,000 prims.

You can buy land on the Mainland for your skybox, if you have a Premium membership.  But you don't need a Premium membership to rent land or to buy it on a private estate

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.