Second Life Screenshots Copyright

Shinako

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, first of all lets say if i would want to use second life screenshots in a Visual Novel, (something similar to text based game) and i would want to use for example sculpture i made in second life as background for that visual novel, so i would rez the sculpture in-world take screeshot of it and used it in visual novel that i would want to eventualy sell lets say on Steam Greenlight or some other place.

My questions are

1. Can i do that ?

2. Would i get sued for copyright infrigment ?

Copyright Licenses

This is the legal permission that you can show the festival organizers or anyone else who’s interested:

As long as you comply with the terms and conditions below, both Linden Lab and the Residents of Second Life (collectively, “we”) grant you the following copyright licenses:

1. A License To Capture. You may take snapshots and capture machinima of the 3D content we created that is displayed in-world, and
  2. A License To Use. You may use the resulting snapshot or machinima within or outside of Second Life in any current or future media.

“Use” means “use, reproduce, distribute, modify, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform.” For other definitions, see Definitions.

Both the License To Capture and the License To Use (collectively, the “Licenses”) are non-exclusive and royalty-free. In addition, the License To Use is worldwide, sublicenseable, and transferable.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Snapshot_and_machinima_policy#Copyright_Licenses

Beyond that I'd have to tell you that I AM NOT A LAWYER.

I cant give any advice about this but Its conplicated in rl.

A childrens story book writter in Australia had to remove her book from the market when she took seveal photos of her teddybear on top of  Uluru  ( Ayers Rock ) to have in the book. The copyright rules covered this even though it was her photos. 

CheriColette wrote:

I cant give any advice about this but Its conplicated in rl.

A childrens story book writter in Australia had to remove her book from the market when she took seveal photos of her teddybear on top of  Uluru  ( Ayers Rock ) to have in the book. The copyright rules covered this even though it was her photos. 

My guess is it had to do with the Teddy Bear and not the Rock.  And actually that would not be very complicated at all. 

Shinako wrote:

Hi, first of all lets say if i would want to use second life screenshots in a Visual Novel, (something similar to text based game) and i would want to use for example sculpture i made in second life as background for that visual novel, so i would rez the sculpture in-world take screeshot of it and used it in visual novel that i would want to eventualy sell lets say on Steam Greenlight or some other place.

My questions are

1. Can i do that ?

2. Would i get sued for copyright infrigment ?

1. Yes you can, provided that the owner of the sim or parcel does not state in the land description that doing so is not permitted.

2. They can try but they will only succeed if they had such a warning in place at the time you took the snapshots.

Basically, it's up to the land-owner whether they wish to allow it or not.  If the build in your snapshot is one you made yourself, then it is absolutely fine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.