Occasional gravity issues, Doesnt matter what av I'm in, but sometimes I will float away.

Observation Arcana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

On various avatars that don't share any items, I occasionally seem to lose gravity. It's been happening since last year, but it's only once or twice every other month so I haven't been bothered much by it. My friend's usually can jump on me and push me down or kick me away like a balloon, so it's not lag I think. I use Firestorm and Firestorm beta, and due to the rare-ness of the problem I haven't tried other viewers. It's a neutral gravity, so momentum and being pushed dictates which direction I float in, and I use a floating animation.

If I go into flying mode I can control myself and land, but if I walk or get pushed it might happen again, but relogging tends to fix it. When landing I can usually tell if I'd fly away again because while standing I will hover up and down slightly, or a lot if I stand still for a long time. The only abnormal thing I think I have is a large messy inventory, which I don't think could be related. I will bounce off sim borders and resume floating in the other direction.

I don't know of any items that I own that could do this, and I'm certainly not wearing any. Usually happens when in-sim teleporting (double-click, move to, etc, not landmarks) and especially if I'm in a building (or just hollow mesh cubes even). It's happened on multiple sims.

The closest thing I saw was when someone in 2007 saw they were wearing a gravity item. But I'm not? What is causing this weird issue?

4 answers to this question

Golly Observation, I sure haven't got an answer for you, but that sounds so cool!

I do find myself stuck flying now and then, but that happens rarely and a relog fixes it. And when that happens, I don't float around. I just hover as you'd expect.

If someone does figure this out, I want to make it happen to me!

Good luck!

Oh, hey, I've seen this issue too.

It tends to happen (at least as I've seen) when jumping - essentially when the avatar comes to 'land' its resistance doesn't increase and the jumping animation doesn't end (@Maddie you can recreate this by repeatedly jumping, it'll happen eventually). It also allows velocity to increase (under 'flying' physics, with minimal resistance), although it typically also removes the ability to walk.

The cause is almost certainly server-based and as such, I'm not sure anyone except LL can give a proper reasoning.

The quickest fix I've seen is to right-click yourself and select 'Sit here'.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.