Creating dice: One question

Dhuanolil

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Through a lot of Googling, dissecting freebie scripts, and trial and error, I managed to make the script below for dice:

integer Chan=6;

string ObjectName;

{
  state_entry() 
    {
        llListen(Chan, "", NULL_KEY, "" );
    }

// This is for the emotive channel dice roll.

listen( integer channel, string name, key id, string message )
    {
        if (channel==Chan && id==llGetOwner())
        {
            ObjectName=llGetObjectName();
            llSetObjectName("");
            string player = llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0));
            integer roll = (integer)(llFrand(100.0)+1);
            llSay(0, "/me " + "secondlife:///app/agent/" + (string) id + "/displayname rolled " + (string)roll + ", " + message);
            llSetObjectName(ObjectName);
        }
    }

// This is for the simple click-to-roll dice.

touch_start(integer num)
  {
     ObjectName=llGetObjectName();
     llSetObjectName("");
     string player = llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0));
     integer roll = (integer)(llFrand(100.0)+1);
     llSay(0, "/me " + player + " rolled " + (string)roll);
  }
}

However, players in the sim would like the ability to have a number bonus added to their dice if they rank up (perhaps +5 each time they rank up? There will only be four ranks). How can this be done? Is there a way for an admin to add a bonus to someone's dice?

Any help would be appreciated. The dice will be free, copiable and transferable (though not modifiable; I don't want anyone hacking into them to add bonuses), and anyone who helps me here will have credit given to them. Thank you for reading.

I do not know the answer to your question.
What I did notice was a very strange construction you use in your listen event.

Instead of:

string player = llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0));  llSay(0, "/me " + "secondlife:///app/agent/" + (string) id + "/displayname rolled " + (string)roll + ", " + message);

You could have done:

string player = llGetDisplayName(id);  llSay(0, "/me " + player + " rolled " + (string)roll + ", " + message);

Because llDetectedKey() only works in touch and sensor events, and the key of the 'speaker' is allready available in the listen event.

The easiest way i can think of is by changing the touch_start event into:

touch_start(integer num)  {     if(llDetectedName(0) == "Ed Min") // when bonus-admin touching the dice
{
llSay(0, "Player "+llKey2Name(llGetOwner())+" got +5 bonus!");
}
else
{
ObjectName=llGetObjectName(); llSetObjectName(""); string player = llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0)); integer roll = (integer)(llFrand(100.0)+1); llSay(0, "/me " + player + " rolled " + (string)roll);
} }

Dhuanolil wrote:

Through a lot of Googling, dissecting freebie scripts, and trial and error, I managed to make the script below for dice:
integer Chan=6;string ObjectName;default{  state_entry()     {        llListen(Chan, "", NULL_KEY, "" );    }// This is for the emotive channel dice roll.    listen( integer channel, string name, key id, string message )    {        if (channel==Chan && id==llGetOwner())        {            ObjectName=llGetObjectName();            llSetObjectName("");            string player = llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0));            integer roll = (integer)(llFrand(100.0)+1);            llSay(0, "/me " + "secondlife:///app/agent/" + (string) id + "/displayname rolled " + (string)roll + ", " + message);            llSetObjectName(ObjectName);        }    }// This is for the simple click-to-roll dice.  touch_start(integer num)  {     ObjectName=llGetObjectName();     llSetObjectName("");     string player = llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0));     integer roll = (integer)(llFrand(100.0)+1);     llSay(0, "/me " + player + " rolled " + (string)roll);  }}

However, players in the sim would like the ability to have a number bonus added to their dice if they rank up (perhaps +5 each time they rank up? There will only be four ranks). How can this be done? Is there a way for an admin to add a bonus to someone's dice?

Any help would be appreciated. The dice will be free, copiable and transferable (though not modifiable; I don't want anyone hacking into them to add bonuses), and anyone who helps me here will have credit given to them. Thank you for reading.

Simple answer: Learn LSL.

Trying to "google a script" is going to result in just that, a take-it-or-leave-it script that is worth every bit you paid for. Do not bother to come here looking for others to do your work for you.

assuming that the dice are not connecting to some external game server then you need a way to persist the owner/players rank that will survive a script restart. Which i think is what you are also asking

a way to do this is to store it in the description of the prim: llGetObjectDesc and llSetObjectDesc

the general algo goes something like:

rank = getdesc()
roll = 1 + random(mag) + (rank * bonus)
total += roll
if (total == win)
{
  rank += (rank < toprank)
  setdesc(rank)
}

rank * bonus
0 * 5 = 0
1 * 5 = 5
2 * 5 = 10
3 * 5 = 15

Heya Ron!

That is originally what I had done but, unfortunately, it would not work. It was only after I changed it that it would show the display name.

Revochen - I will try that out. Thank you for your suggestion!

LepreKhaun - I appreciate you took the time to respond, but it was unneeded. You can choose to believe me or not, but I have tried learning. Unfortunately I am not gifted when it comes to scripting or coding of any sort; even the simplest LSL is very difficult for me, though I have no doubt it is easy for you (though I hope to someday understand it, if I keep on trying). Nor was I expecting people to do my work for me -- it was just a hope that someone might be kind enough to give a bit of advice. Which Ron, Revochen, and Irihapeti were generous enough to do, and I appreciate their kindness.

Irihapeti - Thank you! That was extremely helpful. I appreciate your response.

Take care, all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.