I hold my hands up - I'm a dinosaur with new things...help desperately required

Jazleen Raynier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Slink hands and feeet. I appear to have bought absolutely everything with the word slink in it somewhere and I still can't put the hands on without an obvious line, and a weird colour v my skin colour. The same goes for the feet and I really don't know what to do now. I had one with a hud that took me to a web page with different makes of skins. Mine was on there but when I changed it, it was much darker than my skin. I have bought the appliers from my skin's store but even that one was completely different - darker (for that I'm thinking they may have re=done the colours as mine was bought a couple of years ago). 

So, can I ask someone to help me by telling me the steps to making them work. I'm not over worried about the feet but I do like all the nail varnish you can buy for silk hands - of course, in my cockiness I have bought them also.

Sometimes I amaze myself that I can even turn my laptop on.....

I am so grateful for any help.

When you use an applier you have to be carefull that you haven't played around with matching the skin yourself before. It sounds like you are have played around with the hud before trying to use the applier. Appliers only work proberly when you have not darkned the skinshade with the hud the hands/feet came with before.

Don't worry, you don't have to buy anything new.

If I remember it right, the hud that comes with your hands contains options to influence how light/dark the skintone is. Set that option to white. If you then use the applier it should be the right skintone.

I always speak up loudly about appliers and their benefits over tinting only.

What I should mention, is the role windlight setting and/or an unsuitable graphic card can play. I forget that not all can run SL with graphics turned up high.

You should go to Me - Preferences - Graphics and make sure both Basic and Atmospheric shaders are checked.

The avatar mesh and the attachment mesh reflect the light different. This can also make the attachment look like there is a line unless the light setting is even. I don't notice differences in skin matching with Slink hands and feet on regional and default windlight. I often use a shadows setting to give the images more "life".  But the Phat Azz are not tolerating shadows well. Here I need to adjust windlight to a more flattering one. That does not mean all see the same as I do. SL is a tricky program to run. Sometimes things just don't look right no matter what I try, and the next day it all works flawlessly without me changing anything. Gremlins? :matte-motes-sour:

To both tint and using appliers has already been adressed. If one has a default windlight day cycle and uses an applier, they could easy be tempted to try and "correct" the colors and then make the problem worse as the light changes.

I seem to remember from my latest purchase that the Utility HUD has the stocking layer turned on by default when you unpack the feet. This could also cause problems if one is trying several skins and stockings, maybe wearing a stockings layer unintentionally.

Unless you have deleted the original container, you can always rez it and unpack a new set. Sometimes it's best to do that and start over. If all else should fail, there is a redelivery terminal in the store.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.