I want to learn to make mesh clothes but what program is the best?

kalliopi Ziplon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I looked and found many tutorials for blender and Marvelous Designer.

The second one it looks to be more easy but at the Collada(DAE) Supported Programs for Mesh they do not have that program but many people make tutorial for secondlife use but have not found one to say how to import it to secondlife.

So what program is the best one to invest  time on learning?  Ty for taking time to read me and even reply 

Marvelous designer is not a 3d game asset creator. It can not create optimized game environment, If used in conjunction with blender to retopo then yes it can be useful for high poly to low poly asset creation. I would recommend just pure blender for now until you learn the basics, then begin to work on high poly to low poly bakes and retopos.

In short, Blender. Marvelous designer is a tool in the pipeline, not a standalone program. Blender can be used as a standalone program without having to learn about high to low poly baking and retopo.

Mistah Moose, could you elaborate on what topoh is? Your using language that is way adavanced to those that have never used mesh programs. 

Please breakit down in laymans terms.  It sounds as if the Marveouls designer program is not compatable with blender because of :

A: skeleton joint points or attachment areas,

B: some kind of top layer skinning issue?

Could you please specify what the exact problem is?

I'll try to help. What Mistah is talking about is how dense the mesh is. Every mesh is made up of vertices. The more vertices you use, the more data the mesh is. In Marvelous Designer, the models come out with very high vertice counts, meaning they are a ton of data. To get wrinkle and folds to look right, you kind of need alot of vertices, but it can be a bit much for SL to handle, or rather, for your pc to handle. In Blender, there are tools, like the decimate tool, that will help you lower your vertice count. Or you could retopologize the mesh, which means redoing the mesh with fewer vertices and using the shape of the mesh as your guide. This is a bit more complex to do, but this is how most game characters are made. They first make a high polygon model, then retopologize for the game. A polygon, in simple terms is a set of 3,4 vertices, and can also be referred to as faces, not to be confused with SL faces.

Blender is by far the best program to use to make SL clothing. You can use Marvelous Designer, but it won't get you all the way done. It will only allow you to make a mesh. You will have to use some other program to rig the clothing. I'd also suggest buying Avastar, which is an Addon for Blender. Avastar was specifically made to rig SL clothing, and to animate SL characters. Avastar makes the process of rigging much more simple, especially if you want to make Fitted Mesh.

I don't actually make clothing, but I am an animator, which means I likely know a bit about rigging and weighting. Rigging basically means attaching your mesh to a skeleton, and weighting is the process of setting weights to vertices for a bone, meaning each vertice on the mesh is weighting to a bone, like a leg bone or an arm bone. Currently, I'm working with a clothing creator that uses Marvelous Designer. She gives me the mesh, and I bring the mesh into Blender and finish up the mesh clothing to work in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.