My account was hacked

Venera Neiro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My account was hacked, it tried to buy lindens from my card, I received a massage on my phone, it changed my e-mail. I managed to get a password, because Linden Lab sent me a password recovery link, but my avi on SL doesn't show, it shows a black nothing insted of the world. What to do???

4 answers to this question

It is virtually impossible to hack a SL account, but it is very easy for someone to gain access if you have given your password, either deliberately or because you were the victim of a phishing scam.  Unfortunately, there are many phishing scams on the Internet and in SL itself, so you need to be very careful.  Please read

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Email_Scam_%28Phishing%29_FAQ

http://www.firestormviewer.org/ok-jokes-over-now-something-serious/

Now, what do you do?

Your account may have been compromised if:

• You can't access your account.
  • You suddenly notice a reduced available balance on the payment source you have on file.

If this happens, contact Linden Lab immediately!

Here's what to do:

1. Go to the Second LIfe Help page and log in if you can. If you can't access your account, use the Forgot your login information? link on the right to recover your username and reset your password. Then log in.
  2. On the Second LIfe Help page page, click the Contact Support link on the right.
  3. On the next page, click Submit a a Support Case form.
  4. Under What type of problem are you having?, select Account Issue. A second dropdown appears.
  5. Under Account Issue, select I believe my account has been compromised.
  6. Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
  7. Click Submit.
  8. Check your email for your case number.
  9. Call our fraud number: 800-860-6990.

Once you do this, Linden Lab will place your account on hold and investigate the relevant transactions. This may take a few days. Once we have concluded the investigation, we'll send you an email explaining our conclusion and the action we will take. Note that all transactions involving Linden dollars are subject to Linden Lab's Terms of Service.

32px-KBtip.png

Tip: Even if you are able to log into your account, we recommend that you change your password immediately to something secure and unique.  Changing your password regularly is one good way to protect the safety of your account.  For information on how to change your password, see the How to change your password section of this article.

• Like 1

Second Life should have issued you a refund for the cost of replacing your entire account.

I was hacked recently. And reading that this is "impossible" on SL is not helpful. 

If Sony & govement sites can be hacked, how is SL some kind of ironclad fortress? 

SL, please step up your game, enforce your TOS, toss our the bad players & this will happen less. 

Second Life should have issued you a refund for the cost of replacing your entire account.

I was hacked recently. And reading that this is "impossible" on SL is not helpful. 

If Sony & government sites can be hacked, how is SL some kind of ironclad fortress? 

SL, please step up your game, enforce your TOS, toss out the bad players & this will happen less. 

Dear TrulyLovely Destiny.

I want to point out to you, that LL has reasonable security for SL.

Naming Sony as a point why SL isn't secure is actually a mute point. It's known to security experts sicne years, that Sony is lacking in security, by simply refusing to Implement newer security messures (As Sonys own security experts pointed out to the Managment, months before the PSN was hacked.) However, Sony dosn't do anything until it's to alte. because Security costs money. Which is not an option for a company like Sony, that is since years in financial trouble.

LL on the other hand, is doing quite well on finances.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.