Anyone have answer to upload DAE issue (Frustrated)

RavenSkye Waverider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I have seen a few people with no real solution have this issue and I briefly touched it in a post I made about something else, but really need to figure this out. I'm still learning and getting better at this Maya/3D thing, so trying to see things in SL.

This is my current (not so fancy) item IN maya. 4 picture frames.

inMaya.PNG

It has 4 "combined" objects via maya. It total of 6 materials/faces (as I know there are 8 per object allowed) 

Yesterday morning I learned about the 8, when I uploaded a 16 frame object and only 8 faces showed. Which was fine, now I know the 8 faces thing. However, now, that other file that I didnt change.. won't upload either. I tried to upload this above after exporting it to DAE. I can't, I get this...

error on SL.PNG

I can upload, if I seperate each frame, and upload them by themself (which defeats my purpose). The big one I uploaded (with too many faces) gives me this same issue.

I don't know what to do, I want this to be one prim (like that 16 picture one I tried at first and still can't upload again). It's frustrating. I have seen very little talk about this issue, apparently it's know.

I have tried this is Firestorm and the official LL viewer. I did the debug change as I saw someone mention. Nothing helps, except uploading each frame by itself. I don't know why it changed to not allow it to happen and I don't know what to do. I got so far into learning this and was all proud of it and able to test upload (I did beta grid and normal grid testing), and this is really a bummer to run into. I want to throw things at my screen lol.

I need to understand this, then I can move onto understanding UV mapping, I'm about to throw my paws in the air and walk off. lol

I use Blender myself, but I have found several creative ways to make it fail on a dae export.  Sounds like Maya has its own traps.  Anyway, when I run into a problem such as you describe, I turn around and try to import it right back into Blender.  If I can't import it back into my own software, then it is usually not a SL issue.

I don't use Maya so there may be an issue within Maya. Speaking in general ---

Is you "combined" object ONE mesh object or is it a linkset? That is, when you get it imported in world (or hoping to :D) would it be ONE object that could not be unlinked? Or four separate objects. You can upload either way BUT if you are trying to upload a linkset it may be that the frames are not close enough to each other for the uploader to think of them as one object.

If that is the case, you COULD move the frames around so that they are closer to each other (not intersecting but maybe sort of stacked but not touchting) and then upload. You can then use unlink and reassemble them. Doing that saves upload costs.

If it is a single mesh object then I don't know. I have seen that message a time or two but it has been long ago. IF you are uploading on the beta grid, know that the beta uploader especially has times when it simply isn't working and it has nothing to do with you or your mesh at all. Sad but true.

Well, I just installed the Student Edition of 3ds Max Design 2014 and imported it there, then exported it into a dae again. I was then able to upload it to SL.

I am not sure what is going on with Maya, it was fine for a while. 2014 Maya didn't need to have a seperate fbx converter. It worked just fine, but I did even try doing it that way as the older versions had issues apparently, still didnt work.

So, it must be Maya.

You are saying a DAE file that uploaded before is now not uploading at all and giving you the same error as the new DAE file correct?

If so then it isn't a problem with Maya but the viewers you are trying to use or the sim or grid where you are trying to upload to.

Just to be safe though copy and paste your mesh into a new scene in Maya and do a "Freeze Transformation" and "Delete History" to the mesh.  Then export it as a DAE file with a completely new name.  Don't overwrite over the old DAE file.  Then when you go to upload it make sure the file size doesn't say 0 KB.

If all that fails you might want to try an Open Sim like InWorldz to test upload your mesh just to see if it will upload there.  It could simply be a random bug that happens time to time in SL that has no explanation or cause.  I been in SL long enough to have experienced my share of these kinds of things.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy 

Yes, it is giving me the same error on upload to SL. Both the Beta Grid and the Main SL Grid does the same. Did the same error in Singularity, LL Official Viewer and Firestorm. (tried Singularity today).

Maya is starting to show some other glitches in itself while modeling, which wasn't there until recently too. I did free transformations and delete history. I also did try new names on export/save as well as tried renaming manually and more. 

But, if I export to DAE, import it into 3dsMax and then export it right away without any changes, it will then upload. I can't do it if I just export, import, then export in Maya again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.