Breedable animals SL drop bug -kittycats-

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3853 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Shamu077 wrote:

"Was not a kittycats customer service rep that said they will get tired of returning was just a group member. KC has been fairly good about it, its just they are not understanding that some of us really enjoy intereacting with teh pets more than trying to make money breeding that exclusive animal that everyone wants..."

Tarina,

KC fully understands that you enjoy enteracting with your kitties - why would you think otherwise?  It is not their fault that the SL asset servers are have gone south, creating 100 times more inventory errors than before November of this year.  And never listen to someone's opinion in a group, that does not represent the company.  Anyone can post there, and they are often wrong, usually newbies who somehow think they know it all.  Here is the official Notice from KittyCats, fyi:

**IMPORTANT** Drop Bug Information

Hi all. About a month ago it seems there was a new bug introduced in SL. In regards to KittyCatS, this bug appears to be affecting the ability to Drop your cats after interacting with them via the menu, as well as possibly affecting cats that vanish randomly without reason while rezzed on land in SL. Other breedables have been affected by this bug as well. Linden Labs appears to be aware of this bug, however they cannot address it until after the holidays.

Unfortunately this bug has caused many problems for our customers that like to Interact with their cats for fun and breeding purposes. To help minimize the loss of cats caused by this bug, we recommend that customers disable the cat's ability to walk and run, and not use the Cuddle/Hold/Lay/Walk interactions with their cats until further notice.

We realize that the walking animation and interactions are a large part of the appeal of KittyCatS for many, and we truly apologize for the inconvenience that this latest bug has caused in regards to your ability to enjoy your cats. Please be assured that we are working hard to try and find a solution to this problem, and that we will be in contact with Linden Labs to determine what has caused this issue and how it can be fixed.

We know that many of you use the Interactions to help with your breeding programs and that this bug has also interfered with your ability to breed normally. If you MUST Cuddle/Hold your cats to give them the Happiness/Love buff and you are having trouble Dropping your cats because the Drop option is greyed out, please try the following workaround:

1. Pick up the cat you want to cuddle and take it into your inventory.

2. Right click on the cat in your inventory and select "Attach To" and select one of the following:

- For Teacups and Toys, attach to the Left or Right Shoulders

- For Petite, Normal, and Bigger de Big cats age 7+, attach to the Chest or Right Forearm

(If your viewer supports multiple attachments to the same spot then your cats should all attach together)

3. When you are done cuddling, DETACH the cat. DO NOT DROP. This is very important!!! If you attach the cat from inventory like a regular prim object, then you MUST Detach it. Only use Drop if you cuddled/held the cat via its Interaction menu.

This should be a viable workaround for the Dropping issue. Your cats may look a little funny attached to your avatar this way and you may get animation script errors, however the cats will still get the Happiness/Love buff, and you should not lose them when detaching.

If you do end up losing your cats due to Dropping/Detaching, please go to our support website at 
 and file a ticket. If you are not registered on our website, you can do so by clicking the "Online Help" button on your cats' menu, or by using the web terminal in our main store lobby, located to the immediate right as you enter. Please be sure to include your cat's ID# (you can find this on your pedigree page at 

We apologize again for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience and support.

Your KittyCatS Team

I never said it was Kittycats fault.  I actually couldnt edit my OP and added a reply to my original that explained a work around.

Shamu077 wrote:

Tari,

" It's about items being detached and disappearing from inventory altogether. That bug was, supposedly, fixed, in 2010. But the other problem, the losing of no copy items when worn from the ground and then dropped issue, was never resolved."

The bug today is when an attached item NEVER appears in inventory when it is attached.  If the item does not show in inventory  then Drop is greyed out - since there is nothing to rezz back to land from inventory.  

Of course if you try to Detach the kittycat, it will vanish most of the time - that has always been the case.  There are specific warnings never to use Detach for the kittycats.    If you log out while the item is still attached, it will be gone when you log in.  Either way, if Attaching using one of the menu driven commands does not show in inventory, you will lose the breedable.  You must use Drop for the kittycat to rezz back to land.  You must also be wearing the land tag for the land or Drop can lose it - but that is another issue entirely, NOT related to this present SL bug.

This is ths same problem that all objects are now having when trying to return them to inventory - an error message appears saying the asset server did not respond in time, and the rezzed item remains rezzed.  In this case, you just keep trying to Take the object back to inventory.  This asset server problem has severely increased in the last month.  With breedables that use a menu to attach to avatars, the result is no breedable in inventory, and hence Drop is greyed out.

This has nothing to do with increased popularity of breedables meaning more reports.  I have been using the Drop command for 2 years every day, sometimes 100 times/day.  I have never lost a kittycat up to about mid November, because Drop was greyed out  AND the cat was NOT in inventory.  Now, if I try to attach, the cat will not move to inventory about 1 in 5 times.  It still attaches, but does not exist according to SL, since it is not in inventory and attached.

In other words, from no problems using drop many times/day for 2 years, to a problem every 5 cats.  That is a huge change - and why Kittycats is now saying do not use any command that will attach to your avatar until SL fixes this new problem.

And, people that don't rezz and take objects by the hundreds every day as part of their business may not notice the problem - that doesnt mean it does not exist or is some old infrequesnt bug, as some have suggested.

Shamu

I'm not quite certain how you got that I don't think i t's a problem from anything I said, lol. It IS a problem, even if it's not as widespread as some other bugs are. It's a problem that has existed for years. The frequency of it happening has slowly increased in the last 5 years, because the frequency of people using "drop" has increased. Some people don't ever experience the problem. I know plenty who have not. I also know plenty who have. It wasn't a recent change that caused the frequency to change, I've been watching it change for years. The frequency of *others noticing it, has changed. Because those peole, u p until now, have never experienced it. You're a prime example yourself. You've been using drop for 2 years with no problems at all, and now you've also been hit by the bug. Before now, you most likely wouldn't have known about the bug, and you never experienced it. It's not just an increase in breedables alone. I wasn't saying that. But it IS noticed more by people in the breedable communities, because they are one of the products people use "drop" for, a lot. Most people never even use drop, they simply rez items from inventory.

I only pointed out that the thread I posted was discussing more than one issue to clear up confusion-so people don't think they are the same issue(or at least don't think I believe they are the same issue). There are a few issues with items disappearing, or never appearing, actually. No one can say if it's the exact same problem causing all of those bugs or not. Ll hasn't yet fixed this particular drop bug, and personally I don't have faith they will. Should they decide to, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Until that point, all I can do is ask merchants to be patient with their customers and should something go awry, do their best to rectify the situation with the best methods at their disposal.

I shouldn't have bothered even posting in this thread, lol. Trying to point out that this is not a new bug has proven fruitless.

Tari, I do not see your name mentioned in my post as claiming it was not a problem.

I have seen other posts that venture in-world, find a sandbox, rezz and take a few items without any asset server error, and from that vast experiment, come back here and report it is not a problem because it didnt happen to them.  And there are those who once had breedables, but now don't, but think their experience of 2-3 years ago is relevant to today's problem.

Maybe it is, but the folks who see this problem today are in-world today, and it is an order of magnitude greater problem now.

I quoted you about Items detached and disappearing from inventory.  That is not the present bug.  In this case the items never make it to inventory when first attached to an avatar.  You dont have to detach to lose a cat - it is already lost if the Drop button is greyed out, because it is not in inventory, even though the cat is attached to an avatar.  And the frequency has not gradually increased either.  Drop was a reliable workaround for 2 years.  Then it suddenly exploded into a major issue last December.  There is a new bug  that started causing server asset errors rather suddenly.  

There have always been Drop bugs related to land permissions - not this issue.

Shamu077 wrote:

I quoted you about Items detached and disappearing from inventory.  That is not the present bug.  In this case the items never make it to inventory when first attached to an avatar.  You dont have to detach to lose a cat - it is already lost if the Drop button is greyed out, because it is not in inventory, even though the cat is attached to an avatar.  And the frequency has not gradually increased either.  Drop was a reliable workaround for 2 years.  Then it suddenly exploded into a major issue last December.  There is a new bug  that started causing server asset errors rather suddenly.  

There have always been Drop bugs related to land permissions - not this issue.

You just said exactly what I did, lol. The two bugs that thread(and some other people) are talking about, are not the same bug. But that thread does have a link to the exact current drop problem. You can probably find other places it's discussed with a google search too. For anyone that wants to read up on it, that is.

Drop hasn't been fully reliable since 2007. it may have been for you(at times, it seemed reliable for me too-just not always, btw), but on a grand scale, it wasn't, and isn't. You can see that in the thread I posted from the old forums. That was dated 2008, when more started becoming aware of the bug as that's when the frequency increased the first time. Huddles were causing a huge problem too-as many of them(at one time) required people to use drop as well. Even during the early days of Ozimals(the first more widely known breedable after sion, though not the first breedable created after sion, others weren't widely known-and lacked the functionality anyway) the frequency of lost bunnies due to drop, was awful. That's why we had to tell people NOT to drop. It's also why some are hesitant to use a product that requires drop-because it's a known bug. When more people use a feature that is potentially bugged, you're going to see more instances of it. Most people never need to use the drop option, for anything. So they don't much care, or pay attention to the issue. Of those who do use the option, if it works for them, they won't notice the bug until it happens to them. Or they see someone else suffering through the bug. So, what worked for some fine and dandy for  years-was something that was already bugged for others, and still is.

This is where being able to share the JIRAs would help, a lot. So damn stupid we can't. You'd be able to  see the bug is not new, and has gradually increased in severity and frequency. People would  be able to weigh in on the issue at hand. I could also show you some of the products that were having one hell of a time with this bug(some of those things don't exist on the grid anymore, sadly). It didn't just pop up out of nowhere last year or even this year, it's been here for years-just not on the same scale. The lab has discussed this particular bug themselves,  how long it has existed, how random the effect seems to be, and whether or not they ever intend to fix it. For that last bit, their answer has always been "we'll look into it". I am pretty sure the one linden that was actually testing this bug in 2008-2010 on the JIRA a lot of people were following, is no longer a LL employee.  The frequency of this problem is only going to keep increasing until the lab fixes it. The rate it increases at may fluctuate, but it's never decreased.

There are always new bugs out in sl, that's for darn sure. Sometimes old bugs creep back in too, or start getting worse. Any number of things can cause a bug to start getting worse. It could be changes in the coding, it could be more frequent use of the feature that's bugged, etc.. We can't really pinpoint the exact reason, without seeing the back end of the bug. But I do know from watching this particular bug, and the people affected by it, it has increased in frequency over the years and it honestly is seen more often in things like breedables where the drop option is actually important/a normal function needed. I know it's increased because I've watched it do so. Ll seems to be under the impression that if it doesn't affect at least half of the grid, it's not a problem. They are so dead wrong on that one.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am trying to let the lab off the hook for this, because I am most definitely not. It irks me to no end that they knew about this bug years ago, reproduced it themselves numerous times, and still haven't fixed it.

Linden Labs has fixed the "Drop bug" and KittyCats has announced it is now safe to Cuddle/Hold/Lay and Walk with your cats again, and use the Drop button to detach them.  

No information from LL as to just what was causing the new bug (no surprise there).  Announced today Jan 4, at 2:32 pm slt in the KittyCatS forum by the owner.

Shamu

I raised the Jira bug report and I have been in contact with LL regarding it. There was 2 bug reports raised on the same issue. As some of you have indicated it is no longer possible for people to see bug reports made by somebody else except for a very limited few. 

I have been working with Maestro Linden on this issue, it appears that the issue went away afer the last unscheduled maintence on 2 Jan. But the actual cause of the problem has not been located but is stil being looked into. 

However, the problem appears to have gone away and KittyKats have said that is is reasonable safe to return to normal, and no new Tickets have been raised in the last 2 days regarding missing kitties. 

If I get more information from LL I will post it.

L

Linda Haber wrote:

I raised the Jira bug report and I have been in contact with LL regarding it. There was 2 bug reports raised on the same issue. As some of you have indicated it is no longer possible for people to see bug reports made by somebody else except for a very limited few. 

I have been working with Maestro Linden on this issue, it appears that the issue went away afer the last unscheduled maintence on 2 Jan. But the actual cause of the problem has not been located but is stil being looked into. 

However, the problem appears to have gone away and KittyKats have said that is is reasonable safe to return to normal, and no new Tickets have been raised in the last 2 days regarding missing kitties. 

If I get more information from LL I will post it.

L

Perhaps that helped, because we got this notice today in group.

Group Notice From: KittyCats Addicts, Kitten Longmeadow

Hi guys! So apparently the bug has been fixed. It seems that Linden Lab never noticed they created a bug, nor did they notice they solved it. But our testing is showing that cuddling cats via the menu and being able to Drop is working once again, so we feel ok saying that it should be safe to cuddle once again. Thanks for your patience as we worked through this! Should anything change, rest assured we will let you know ASAP. Thanks!

I am happy its fixed! (at least so far lol)

yeah!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3853 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.