Stand alone SecondLife?

Petrigeo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I am new in using SecondLife.

I wonder if SecondLife could be used stand alone, i.e. installing an own server and using a SecondLife instance for a dedicated virtual world. If tha is possible, what could the condition concerning licensing etc. The project is non profit.

Thank you!

George

Petrigeo wrote:

Hi,

I am new in using SecondLife.

I wonder if SecondLife could be used stand alone, i.e. installing an own server and using a SecondLife instance for a dedicated virtual world. If tha is possible, what could the condition concerning licensing etc. The project is non profit.

Thank you!

George

What you are basically describing is "OpenSim", which is a stand-alone system that emulates a somewhat older version of Second Life. There are no licensing fees for it. Objects, etc. that are currently used in Second Life can't be directly used in OpenSim unless the makers of those objects have specifically ported them over but there's a fair amount of content that you can find that will work. Doing a search for OpenSim should give you lots of information.

The other answers are correct. I'll expand on them a bit.

There once was an Enterprise version of SL. It was the propretary version of the SL server side. It could be set up to allow businesses to run their own worlds internal to their companies. Some did as it allows for better instruction and training for some tasks. AFAIK, that package is no longer available. It was exspensive. But, contact the Lab to see what they may be to offer along that line.

OpenSim is an open source server side program built to duplicate the API's and functionality of Second Life servers. From an operational point of view it is not the same as SL. But, from a users viewpoint it is VERY similar. 

OpenSim is often commerically hosted, Kitely, In-Worldz, and other grids provide hosting and handle the setup of the servers for a small monthly fee somewhat similar to how Linden Lab provides regions.

OpenSim can be hosted from your home computer. I ran a 9 region area connected to OSGrid. OSGrid provides asset servers and a user sign up front end. You can host your region server at home or on a commerical game hosting site. It is not overly difficult but one does have to read up and figure out how to set things up. That part is technical and you must get it right. But, once I had it running, it was easy to maintain.

There are advantages to using OpenSim. Many things are better, like scripting, and you have much more control. But, the downside on all the OpenSim grids is the lack of users. At best they only ever see a few hundred concurrent users. Also, there is no way to get users from SL to OpenSim.

Just to give a feel for the scale of what it needed for Open Sim and Sim-On-A-Stick

I run a 16-region instance on a Windows 7 64-bit machine with 4GB of RAM, plus an instance of Firestorm Viewer.

If I were running 32-bit Windows I would have less than 3GB of RAM because so much address space is used for the video card. It's a significant difference in available memory.

If you were expecting many users and complicated scenery, 9-region or even 4-region would be a safer choice.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.