Windows 8 Chat Logs Location? And another annoyance

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Where do you find the chat logs and other avatar files for Second Life in Windows 8?

You know that folder that is users/name/appdata/roaming etc.

Can't find it for the life of me.

Also, anybody else have this huge annoyance? You can't access IMs for people immediately if you bring up their profile from going into "edit" on an object. Or even sometimes from search. You get a little icon of a "lock".

Then you have to *log into Second Life through the view inside their profile* (wild, eh?) in order to access their IM.

Imagine doing this all night long with customer after customer as you try to give them notecards, merchandise, etc. Just annoying as heck.

Customer Service didn't know what  was talking about.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Where do you find the chat logs and other avatar files for Second Life in Windows 8?

You know that folder that is users/name/appdata/roaming etc.

Can't find it for the life of me.

I havnt seen the IM/Profile problem myself but web profiles are pretty futzed right now and have been since this post: http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2013/12/12/post2134/  which is still not resolved.

We are currently in an inter-regnum, a time of transition while LL transfers responsibility for Customer Service (that's principally Help, Forum Moderation and Anti-Spamming Counter Measures) to the newly formed NSA Knowledge Intervention Division - it's a young branch of the organisation dedicated to less-than-covert monitoring and control over global counter-cultural movements threatening the complacency of the "never had it so good" generation.

During this time please observe the historic protocol and ******* restrict your ******* questions to the correct ******* forum - Answers - for ******* naive and even more ******* repetitive enquiries, especially if you are a longstanding ******* resident or born-again ******* n00b who should know ******* better. This is the ******* Second Life Viewer forum, where participants whinge about inadequacies of the standard viewer, complain about inconsistencies between versions, and demand reinstatement of "temporarily" lost facilities, not the arena for do-gooders with no ******* skills in social intercourse to demonstrate their ******* Ph Ds in cut-and-pasting.

**********Rudi**********

Thanks, a simple and clear explanation that instantly worked like a charm.

Obviously I Googled this for half an hour and looked at a bunch of help forums before I came on here. It was only because even the Knowledge Base, the Wiki, various other links in Google didn't give me the answers that I came here.

I fail to see anything wrong with asking this question here, and getting an answer here. It's not a basic question but a more sophisticated one and it's about where folders are produced from the viewer.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Thanks, a simple and clear explanation that instantly worked like a charm.

Obviously I Googled this for half an hour and looked at a bunch of help forums before I came on here. It was only because even the Knowledge Base, the Wiki, various other links in Google didn't give me the answers that I came here.

I fail to see anything wrong with asking this question here, and getting an answer here. It's not a basic question but a more sophisticated one and it's about where folders are produced from the viewer.

Did you ask the question in the SL forum called "ANSWERS" on the tab above, clearly designated as that which the clueless should address their queries which have been answered countless numbers of times before, rather than cluttering up this forum category which is intended for more informed discussion of changes, errors and improvements in the official Second Life Viewer?

Did you actually think that the solution might be in your own hands - should you have any minor understanding of whatever viewer you are using - as the directory used for chat logs is, and has been for as long as I can recall, user modifiable from the default stated in the settings which are accessible via a straightforward menu option within the SL viewer and all of the other third party viewers that I have had occasion to use?

Sophisticated? I suppose you think the spell-checker in the forum editor is a bit complicated to use too . . .

**********Rudi**********

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Also, anybody else have this huge annoyance? You can't access IMs for people immediately if you bring up their profile from going into "edit" on an object. Or even sometimes from search. You get a little icon of a "lock".

Then you have to *log into Second Life through the view inside their profile* (wild, eh?) in order to access their IM.

Imagine doing this all night long with customer after customer as you try to give them notecards, merchandise, etc. Just annoying as heck.

Customer Service didn't know what  was talking about.

When I edit a person's object I can IM them directly by right-clicking their name and hitting "IM" - no need to go through their profile at all and their IM history comes up automatically. And when I search for someone using web search "IM" is the first option at the bottom of the listing. This is with LL Viewer 3.6.12.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.