Cant Select any objects in Blender

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Oh nevermind I found that I was in Rendered mode. Whatever that is.

Andrew whatshisname, the 'Blenderguru,' is pushing for a new user interface. You may be interested in supporting this. He is a vet in the blender trenches, so to speak. 3D is complicated lots of buttons, but for many things there is a small set of stuff needed and I think this is his point. Make things more standard, easeir to see what is happening or has happened and make things respond quickly and with feedback so people aren't lost.

Strange waste of time to type it up, but maybe a funny side thought: The mention of "trenches" is funny to me. I remember thinking blender 2.x looking military like compared to some of the apps and simpler software. When someone custom programs thier own UI "widgets" (that IS the technical programmers term lol, very technial huh!?) you end up with Winamp skins sort of look...usually. Blender looked more utilitarian lol.

Once again, Blender had cool not so well used or known features in it's UI though! You control the layout, you could make new work panels and switch them to whatever set you wanted. You could zoom into the buttons, which is great because they where so tiny! Advanced stuff really, but who knows that you could zoom in? Ah, I found out by mistake....ironicaly the same way I would mess up and have to close down and open an older file. Hey, blender had and has autosave with a timer! So, you change it to more frequently and then learn where the folder is!

Anyway, paranoid odd musing go here. I deleted them, partially by accedent and partially depression with typing and editing for no reason, no money and no life or hope of one. years wasted, harrassment yadda yadda, woe is me and all that.

You can still select meshes in render view you just can't see the outline around them when you do select an object. However if you look at the item list you can see what is seleted.

I use render view when I want to quickly take some  screen snapshot of what I'm working on without including any clutter (lamps, camera, grid, etc.)

Poenald Palen wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Oh nevermind I found that I was in Rendered mode. Whatever that is.

Andrew whatshisname, the 'Blenderguru,' is pushing for a new user interface. You may be interested in supporting this. He is a vet in the blender trenches, so to speak. 3D is complicated lots of buttons, but for many things there is a small set of stuff needed and I think this is his point. Make things more standard, easeir to see what is happening or has happened and make things respond quickly and with feedback so people aren't lost.

His name is Andrew Price, and most of his proposal was shot down at the Blender Conference. No doubt there will be some changes, but nothing like the major changes he proposed will ever be implemented any time soon.

• 4 weeks later...

To say Andrew's proposals were shot down is unfair to the people that overseer Blender development.

It would be more fair to characterize Andrew's  presentation on his proposals as, "This is what I originally presented as a good idea, but as I learned more I was wrong."

Andrew was given lots of freedom to present and develop his ideas.  He was even given a lecture room and was not interfered with in any way by Ton Roosendaal.  It was Andrew on his own that came around full circle to the understanding that his ideas seemed good but had flaws.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.