Mesh weapons (specifically swords) help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all! Im new (well new-er) to second life and am getting into the combat portion of the game. You see, im wanting to buy this really cool red katana, but there is no demo so to aviod wasting cash I downloaded a free mesh machete to try out. Well when I attach the machete object to my AV he is not holding it by the hilt but instead by the middle of the blade. When I try to attach the sheath it is patruding thru his mid-section. I am totally baffled. Someone enlighten me?

Thanks guys!

Michael, welcome to SL and to the Forum. There is no single template for weapons (or almost anything else, for that matter) in Second Life. The demo you downloaded was created by another SL resident. Thus unless someone reading this forum happened to guess exactly who made your demo machete, it's not likely you'll get a really definitive answer.

Your best resource BY FAR is to contact the person from whom you 'bought' the demo. Go back and look at the Marketplace page where you purchased it; you'll see the merchant's name listed. Contact the merchant directly. You can also use the Build menu to see who created your machete if you know how that works (because the creator and the merchant may not be one and the same) but in most people's experience contacting the merchant is the best way to start.

Good luck. I'll know you when I see you: you'll be the guy with the machete stuck in his tummy.

Can you edit the machete?  If so do that to position it for your avi.

I bought a gown one time that came with a necklace.  Wearing the necklace placed it floating above my avi's left shoulder.  I had to edit the position then every time I wore it it was positioned correctly.

The free machete and knife sheath that you probably got is unscripted and not a complete product. It is intended for use by content creators who will be the ones to script it, put in the right animations and probably attach it to a belt or something else that is worn.  Once they do all that it will function how you expected it to.

I know this because I am sure it is the same one that I got from the MP.  But I create things in SL so I got it as a resource to use in my content creation.  Just about everything that comes full perm on the MP is intended for use by people to incorporate into a larger product that they are creating.

Unless you are willing to tackle a project and learn how to do all the things necessary to make it work, the machete is no more useful to you than a decoration. 

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Your best resource BY FAR is to contact the person from whom you 'bought' the demo.
Go back and look at the Marketplace page where you purchased it
; you'll see the merchant's name listed. Contact the merchant directly. You can also use the Build menu to see who created your machete if you know how that works (because the creator and the merchant may not be one and the same) but in most people's experience contacting the merchant is the best way to start.

I thought that that makes a sad commentary of the way things have developed through the years - the assumption that an item, any item, was not bought in SL, although the OP's use of the word "downloaded" might give rise to the idea of it being a marketplace buy even though it's completely the wrong word for any sort of purchase.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Your best resource BY FAR is to contact the person from whom you 'bought' the demo.
Go back and look at the Marketplace page where you purchased it
; you'll see the merchant's name listed. Contact the merchant directly. You can also use the Build menu to see who created your machete if you know how that works (because the creator and the merchant may not be one and the same) but in most people's experience contacting the merchant is the best way to start.

I thought that that makes a sad commentary of the way things have developed through the years - the assumption that an item, any item, was
not
bought in SL, although the OP's use of the word "downloaded" might give rise to the idea of it being a marketplace buy even though it's completely the wrong word for any sort of purchase.

Yes, I gathered (possibly incorrectly) from the use of the word 'downloaded' that the purchase was from the Marketplace, since a Marketplace purchase does tend to resemble a download. If he had said 'purchased' then I'd have commented differently.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.