Link to virus on Second Life Website

Ludvig Bravin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ludvig Bravin wrote:

When I log in SL website, on top of the page, it always shows this warning:

Untitled.png

if you click on it, your anti-virus software will detect the webpage that opens as a potential virus.

I wonder why it keeps showing then.

To exactly which page are you referring to?

Your dash board has NO banner adds.

Other pages do.

Show us a screenshot COMPLETE with the URL like in my picture below.  Among other things, unless you cropped it out you should see the little triangle like icon in the top right corner of the banner ad.  If not, you may already be dealing with a browser / ad server hijack.

banner add.JPG

Looks like common adware. Lots of dodgy download sites, often places offering little game or utility things, will put this junk in their installers. Take a look in your browser extensions and see if there are any you don't recognize, a common hallmark (they don't all do this but it's a good hint) is that they will give them useful sounding names like "ad blocker" or "youtube" but they won't have proper icons.

Usually these are easy to get rid of. Just delete the unfamiliar extensions from your browser. Go to add or remove programs in your control panel, sort by date, and uninstall anything recent that looks unfamiliar.

That will get rid of most of these. If you are still getting unexplained ads, there are lots of decent adware scanners around. Find a good one and let it run a sweep.

Adding - I just switch off ad blocking to see what LL is letting thru these days, and they are letting really dodgy ads appear on the dashboard. I'll leave that disabled for a while to see if LL is serving up this media plyer one.

Ok, so SL is running banner ads for iLivid, which if someone were to install it, is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in the past post. iLivid is a downloader for a rebranded copy of VLC that also installs adware.

So, there is a good chance the banner you saw was from them, and served up by LL and not any infection on your end.

(VLC is ordinarily a perfectly legitimate program, these guys are just trying to make a buck off someone else's open source project.)

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Ok, so SL is running banner ads for iLivid, which if someone were to install it, is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in the past post. iLivid is a downloader for a rebranded copy of VLC that also installs adware.

So, there is a good chance the banner you saw was from them, and served up by LL and not any infection on your end.

(VLC is ordinarily a perfectly legitimate program, these guys are just trying to make a buck off someone else's open source project.)

Are you seing that specific Banner Ad also?

And is it originating with Ad-sense?

Far as I knew all the banners were coming from Ad Sense (not directly from LL).

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

LL put Adsense on their page, and they can decide what ads can go on their pages, so they don't get to shoulder the blame off on Google. And yeah, I've seen ads for the same video player scam.

OK, just wanted to confirm which is why I asked the OP for screenshot.

I myself have never seen that AD but that may mean nothing.

I don't run adblockers myself.

We would wonder why if LL can decide which Ads many of us see a ton for other VR's and MMPORGS.

I've used VLC myself for many years.  Great program. Sad to see it hi-jacked.

Craziness.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Looks like common adware. Lots of dodgy download sites, often places offering little game or utility things, will put this junk in their installers.

Yes there are now many download sites like that. You download something, install the program and bang you will notice that it has silently added some add-on to your browser - like for example a new default search site, and possibly also new default start page. Those sites do not say anything about that some add-on will be installed on your browser, they just do it secretly and silently. Ufff...

Sometimes the add-ons are such that nothing shows about them in the add/remove program list, nor nothing shows in browser extensions or add-ons. Just recently that happened to me, I had to search the net for instructions how to remove the nasty useless browser add-on.

:smileyfrustrated:

/me grumbles "Oh, you poor MicroSlaves with your brainwashed anti-open source mindset" and buggers off into the add-free, virus-free distance.

And, no, I won't tell you to change your OS, I won't make any propaganda for Linux systems. That's a decision everybody's gotta make for themselves. For me it worked out great.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.