Uploading multi faced mesh problem

Alanna Preez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have been testing a mesh Im building for the past days and didnt have this problem until now. Everytime I try to upload a new mesh (test and main grid) the uploading window goes crazy and multiplies all parameters by the number of textures my mesh has..

What happened? I never had this problem before, why is it behaving like this now? Surprisingly I can still upload the mesh, even tho the triangle count goes to the roof and the land impact goes ULTRA high crazy..

Thanks.

But I didnt change my mesh, Im building a mesh body and uploaded it many times before. I set a couple zones that can be made invisible and the mesh always worked fine. Recently I have been working on the textures so I didnt bother uploading the mesh again.

Today I noticed a small rigging issue, so I fixed it and uploaded the mesh again.. the problem only happens if I apply the multi faced material, when I apply a standard material everything works..

I had this happen once, or something similair. I think I had a multi-sub with an unused sub-material/channel. After getting rid of that, the geometry uploaded just fine.

Recently I looked at someone's model that behaved like yours, also exported from 3ds Max. When I imported the dae file, the extra geometry was there, along with a lot of extra channels.

I think it was a non-standard sub-material (checker in this case), resetting the channels and re-applying the materials fixed it for the dae file I imported. Getting rid of the checker map fixed it for the original builder. Maybe you have some noise or checker or gradient or similair maps?

Here's the thread, the topic is on page 5.

Thanks for the replies. That is the proccess how I made my multi faced material, right now if I import the mesh body it has 42k triangles. If I apply the material it jumps to 340K! So its being multiplied exactly by 8, the number os sub materials my material has.

I just made a quick test, created a new material slot and made it have 2 sub materials, the same thing happened. Once I imported on SL it counts 85K triangles, the double triangles my mesh has.

I wonder if it can be some exporting configuration? I still have my old mesh in my Max scene, but not even this one is working. My Max instalation is new, I had a HD problem last week so I had to get a new one and reinstall everything, I didnt change any vaulue in the exporting settings after that, everything is set to default, so maybe thats where Im having problems..

I just figured it out, its because of my fresh new Max installation! I didnt download the FBX exporter plugin (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=20481403). Without this all DAE files you try to explort will have this issue.

For those who are having the same problem, make sure to download the plugin of your Max version.

Ahhhh!  This is driving me nuts.  I simplified my design, which they aren't that big to begin with.  I messed with the lod, it doesn't make a difference.  I also double checked for the fbx file in 3ds max.  My objects still go weird if I take one step away.  Blender or 3ds max will not make a difference.  Any other suggestions.  I got it to work a year ago, but I don't see what I did different.

snowstorm13 wrote:

My objects still go weird if I take one step away.

Could you post some screenshots of the model, how it deforms when you zoom out/walk away and what your upload settings are? A general description of how you built your model in 3ds Max (or Blender) wouldn't hurt either. Is it a single object with multiple faces? is it an object built with several unique sub-objects? Do all objects have a logical name? Do you have LoD models for all objects? What kind of materials (and maps) did you use? How big are the objects? How many triangles/verts do the objects use?

Without those it's pretty much impossible to determine what the problem is, let alone how to fix it.

The physics won't be the issue. The physics are not something you see.

It looks like you didn't make any LoD models yourself, but let the uploader reduce the geometry (triangles and vertices). That works well for roundish objects, not for parts that are sticking out. You can clearly see that with the teapots, the pot looks fine, but the handle and spout don't. That's because the uploader reduces indiscriminately, it doesn't recognise them as "special".

Teapots.PNG

So what you need to do, is make a reduced model yourself, as shown above. Simply delete some loops in places where you don't need them and maybe use some smoothing groups. The pot on the right is 1024 triangles, the one on the left 190. From a distance they will look pretty much the same as shown below.

Teapots2.PNG

So what happens if you set the LOD to its highest level for all but the furthest away setting in the uploader?

That "should" solve your issue. I am not suggesting that is the BEST way  ( I would likely get stoned) but it would let you know if it was an LOD issue all by itself.  With an object that small it most likely won't make any difference in the land impact numbers. From there you could make your own LOD models -- once you know that is the issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.