SL viewer crashes on mac, cannot reinstall

Eagle Himmel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys.  I finally got the sl viewer settings so I could see textures and not crash all the time, but now I can't even get into sl using the viewer.  I was getting this error message.

Second life unexpectadly quit while trying to restore windows.  Do you want to restore it's window again?  

If I press "restore" It just crashes and does nothing

I did a clean install by removing the sl viewer from the computer and emptying out the library files per the LL web site.  I then downloaded the new viewer.  Upon dlownloading, I see it says "second life" but it has a circle with a slash through it and not sure what that means.  WHen I click on the icon, I get the same error message and continues to crash.  Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?  

I am running a mac with a 2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo processor.  4 GB 666 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM  on OS 10.7.5  Graphics 

ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB

You have my sympathy, Eagle.   I had a very similar setup and the same X1600 gpu in my old 2007 MacBook Pro, except that I was running Snow Leopard.   Frankly I'm surprised that SL is still tolerable at all on that graphics chip.   I threw in the towel in late 2011, and bought a new MBP.    Good for you though, you're much more patient than I am!

Back to the question ... I don't know why the SL viewer is dumping you, but just for laughs, have you thought about giving either Singularity or Firestorm a go?    In my experience, both of those viewers perform better on my macs than the SL release viewers have.

Just a thought, and hope your experience turns better soon!

(Edited to retract inaccurate upgrading system assumption)

I do use firestorm, but was warned that with mesh and certain animations, I should upload in sl because of the code that was removed from fs.  I got a very long speech on it anyway.  I wanted to use sl viewer to do the initial set up and uploading of mesh, then switch back to fs which does work far better for most everything else.  So I'm gonna keep trying and hope that I figure it out here really soon.  Thanks

Eagle, did you toss the SL folder from Library->Saved Application State? That may be storing a borked setting that's causing even a re-installed viewer to crash. The folder will have a name like "com.secondlife...".

You should also toss Library->Caches->SecondLife and Library->Application Support->Secondlife, but I think you've probably already done that.

Good luck!

ok here's what I did.

1. Moved sl viewer from application menu to the trash

2. went to ~/Library/Applications/SecondLife   Trashed entire folder

3. went to ~/Library/cashes/second life  Trashed entire folder.

4. went to www.secondlife.com downloaded viewer and installed.  When I click on the viewer, It acted like it wanted to open,b ut I get the same crash report.  

5. beats head against wall  :matte-motes-confused:

Yes I did empty the trash before installing the new.

I feel your pain Eagle, same problem. I have tried all night to open the viewer-- doesn't matter which version I try, they all crash...I was fine before the update tonight? :matte-motes-crying: 

Here's what I'm working with if some of the more savvy folk can have a peep:

Processor  2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory  4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Software  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b)

This is my first mac, go gentle with me! :matte-motes-nerdy:

Thanks in Advance!

Sorry Boots I can't offer help.  Firestorm works great for me, except I need the SL viewer for developing and teaching.

As of this morning, here is my latest attempt to get the sl viewer to run.

1. search and destroy every file on the computer that is associated with second life, even the dl I did yesterday.  I cleaned out every folder in applications, downloads and Library I could find.  Even if it had "SL" on it, I trashed it.  

2. Restart

3. Download viewer from web site

4. Drag sl icon to the applications folder.  

5. When I go to the applications folder, I do not get the sl icon of the little green hand.  Instead I get a stack of papers and a circle with a slash through it.  I have seen this icon before, but usually I can still open the program.  In this case, I'm not sure what meaning it has.

6 Open SL viewer (by clicking on the little circle with a slash on it)  Still get the "Trying to restore windows" message.  I can't click either option (I get 2  don't restore and restore)  Then it crashes.  No matter what I do, this isn't working.  

I may just attempt to find an older version of the sl viewer somewhere.  I think this version was not made for mac.   :(

Eagle Himmel wrote:

Sorry Boots I can't offer help.  Firestorm works great for me, except I need the SL viewer for developing and teaching.

As of this morning, here is my latest attempt to get the sl viewer to run.

1. search and destroy every file on the computer that is associated with second life, even the dl I did yesterday.  I cleaned out every folder in applications, downloads and Library I could find.  Even if it had "SL" on it, I trashed it.  

2. Restart

3. Download viewer from web site

4. Drag sl icon to the applications folder.  

5. When I go to the applications folder, I do not get the sl icon of the little green hand.  Instead I get a stack of papers and a circle with a slash through it.  I have seen this icon before, but usually I can still open the program.  In this case, I'm not sure what meaning it has.

6 Open SL viewer (by clicking on the little circle with a slash on it)  Still get the "Trying to restore windows" message.  I can't click either option (I get 2  don't restore and restore)  Then it crashes.  No matter what I do, this isn't working.  

I may just attempt to find an older version of the sl viewer somewhere.  I think this version was not made for mac.  
:(

Recently LL had to update their viewer because it was crashing on AMD/ATI video cards that used the latest drivers. It may well be that because of this update the viewer will no longer work on very old ATI cards like yours.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.