Second Life crashes after login

Mary Voorhees

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life crashes after login and being there for less than a second. I tried on alts and different places and always the game crashes. I more than enough meet the requirements and here's to prove it.

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/12/13 11:19:05 Ver: 06.03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16290MB RAM
Page File: 6022MB used, 26651MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Display Memory: 10935 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3046 MB
Shared Memory: 7888 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: S22B300
Monitor Id: SAM08C8
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI

You can have a seemingly brilliant computer, shed-loads of RAM, fabulous graphics, but all of this will count for very little if you have a poor internet connection.

I would suggest you carry out a speed test and ensure you are accessing Second Life via a wire, as opposed to wireless. Interruptions in connection will cause the viewer to quit you.

Edited to add:

Your internet service provider may also say buzz words such as "unlimited" or "up to (number) speeds", but also you need to bear in mind that this is greatly diluted depending on the number of other people who are hooked up and connecting to the internet via the same line of broadband as yourself. You may find that you 'crash' less at off-peak times.

I’m using an AMD HD7970

I have the same problem, crash to desktop after login, while rezing into the world.

[AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver for Windows 7/Windows 8 64-bit]

AMD Catalyst 13.6 beta = crash to desktop, rezing into world.

AMD Catalyst 13.8 = crash to desktop, rezing into world.

AMD Catalyst 13.9 = crash to desktop, rezing into world.

AMD Catalyst 13.10 beta = crash to desktop, rezing into world.

But if I use the AMD Catalyst 13.4 driver = it works fine.

So I can play SL only if I use AMD Catalyst 13.4 = or older.

Only problem is if I want to play a new game like Battlefield 4 beta or Battlefield 3, I need the new drivers, and I am not going to be installing and uninstalling drivers to play different games.

If you want the older drivers, here is a link to save you time searching, maybe it will work for you too - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

So now it’s the blame game – is it [AMD] that need to fix the drivers, all though all my other games work fine with the new drivers, or is it [second life] that needs to optimise their code for the new drivers? Or is it an attachment or something on my avatar coursing the CTD with the new drivers, but yet it works fine with the 13.4 driver.

It’s really frustrating as I’ve never spent as much money on a game as I have SL. Ive been playing SL since it first came out, had this Acc for 5 years now.. And I love the game..

But I also want to play my other games with the new drivers, as the newer drivers are optimised for the new games.

What a nightmare. :smileysad:

Well this problem is apparent all over, I have seen many people make the same claim. Me actually being one of them.

The only real solution, Use firestorm veiwer. Untill AMD or Linden Labs Provides a fix. Its something with the recent coding in second lifes latest build that causes this problem. Older builds such as what the firestorm veiwer currently runs on seems to not be having this problem.

OK. So going on the fact that your speedtest gets way better more results than my own :matte-motes-tongue: yet I am not suffering from the sudden crashes that you are, not on my Windows 8 laptop with AMD Radeon graphics, nor on my old Windows Vista desktop with nvidia graphics, what can you check next?  I take it your graphics card drivers are bang up to date?

I always run a console window, so I can often have a clue what is going on 'backstage' if my viewer seems to go slow or freezes up.  To run a console window, select this option from the Advanced menu within whichever viewer you're using. Then you'd have to restart the viewer for the console window to pop up in a separate window. 

Mary Voorhees wrote:

I can't enable the menu nor even look at it since the game crashes before I can do anything, it crashes immediattely after I logged in.

I think the problem is a conflict between the new materials code and AMD's OpenGL drivers later than 13.4. Until this is worked out you should try a non-materials viewer. If you prefer the Linden Lab look the closest third-party viewer that doesn't have the materials code is probably Catznip.

• 6 months later...

I realize this post is old but the same old problem exists and it seems like nobody is doing anything about it.  I'm only here because my friend tried it, I have no idea what her os, video card, computer or anything else is, all I know is it works on hers it doesn't work on mine, I have a wired connection and get 30 to 50 mbps download 2 mbps upload on www.speedtest.net/‎  to all three recommended servers.  I did read something about an incompatiblity with amd video cards so what is the thinking here?  Hope everyone gets tired of amd and switches to nVidia?  No.  Just uninstall it, go get firestorm and use it because this will not work.

While you are at it, check out where the third party viewers stand in relation to this and the official viewer stability wise, wonder why everyone uses firestorm?  Yeah, oh and if you still aren't convinced, if you happen to try to look for support, you will find the one for catznip is blank.

Eduard Hendrassen wrote:

I realize this post is old but the same old problem exists and it seems like nobody is doing anything about it.  I'm only here because my friend tried it, I have no idea what her os, video card, computer or anything else is, all I know is it works on hers it doesn't work on mine, I have a wired connection and get 30 to 50 mbps download 2 mbps upload on
‎  to all three recommended servers.  I did read something about an incompatiblity with amd video cards so what is the thinking here?  Hope everyone gets tired of amd and switches to nVidia?  No.  Just uninstall it, go get firestorm and use it because this will not work.

While you are at it, check out where the third party viewers stand in relation to this and the official viewer stability wise, wonder why everyone uses firestorm?  Yeah, oh and if you still aren't convinced, if you happen to try to look for support, you will find the one for catznip is blank.

the particular bug that this thread was about was fixed in the viewer a few months ago, and also the latest AMD beta driver fixes this bug even on older viewers that were not patched. your friend's problem is probably somewhere else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.