Uploading problems And syncing two animations with pose balls

Deamona Feiri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, first off please note my knowledge of sl scripting is very basic, but that aside I seem to be having problems when I upload my animations, if it helps I'm using Daz 3d v4.6 pro, And the problem that's plaguding me is that when I upload my animations , build using the sl models mesh things, any movement I had put in the animation doesn't appear the models are turning around on the spot but won't move backwards or forwards.

And as the title says I'm also looking for a way to sync up the two poses so they start at the same time

thank you in advance for any help you can give me to solve this problem

Hello everyone, first off please note my knowledge of sl scripting is very basic, but that aside I seem to be having problems when I upload my animations, if it helps I'm using Daz 3d v4.6 pro, And the problem that's plaguding me is that when I upload my animations , build using the sl models mesh things, any movement I had put in the animation doesn't appear the models are turning around on the spot but won't move backwards or forwards.

And as the title says I'm also looking for a way to sync up the two poses so they start at the same time

thank you in advance for any help you can give me to solve this problem

Syncing animations on two poseballs is rarely a clean operation because lag will affect each person's experience differently.  Still, you can get close.  You need to write two scripts (one in each poseball).  When one of them is activated, it has to wait for the second one before it activates its own animation.  When someone sits on the second poseball, that script takes note of the precise time (call it X) and sends that information to the first poseball's script.  The first script receives that timing message and then both scripts trigger their animations at precisely X plus 1.000 seconds.  Because lag will generate accumulative errors, scripts are typically written to re-sync every couple of minutes with the same procedure.It's mildly tricky to script -- not a newbie exercise - but it's been done many times.  You can easily buy pairs dance poseballs that follow this scheme.

As for moving your avs forward or backward, .......  Your animations can be making the av do all sorts of twists and turns, leaps in the air, somersaults, and whatever but as far as SL's servers are concerned, your av is standing dead.  The animation is all peformed locally by your viewer.  To actually move the av, you either need to use your keyboard arrow keys or a cheater movement control panel on screen, or you have to do it with a LSL script. 

Hiya Deamona,

I'm not sure I'm following you, but it sounds like your avatar is correctly playing all self-relative parts of the animation (like arm going up/down, etc) but not moving with respect to the ground (like moving in a circle around some central point). This motion must be captured in the animation, so if your Daz model (I'm not familiar with that tool) doesn't skip in a circle, your avatar won't either. The reference point for the SL avatar is the hip. In QAvimator, the tool I use, if I want the avatar to take a step forward, I must first create all the joint movements that make one step cycle, then I go back and move the hip forward in each frame by an amount that matches the stride I've animated.

If you have uploaded an animation from some online source, like Carnegie Mellon's CMU graphics lab, it's possible that the hip motion either got lost in translation, or wasn't included. It'll be up to you to get back or add it in.

With respect to synchronizing two animations, it's just as Rolig says. In addition to having one of the pose balls talk to the other to synchronize movement, you might want to have the script also listen for chat on some channel, so that either/any person involved in the synchronized animation can issue a restart if their viewer gets out of whack. I have couples dance balls that take a "/1 sync" command to resync and do not talk to each other. Long ago I built a dance floor for my home that included a script to say "sync" on channel one every minute so that all dance balls on the floor would periodically be forced back into alignment.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

thank you both for the info, though the syncing thing still eludes me I'm sure I'll get it right in time, now I have a more interesting problem, for me anyways, I'm sort of branching out in my animations to cover the taur groups in sl, and I do mean the centaurs, the problem is that with only the mesh that sl provide making stuff for the four legged, and at some point no legged, bunch is a bit hit and miss as I have nothing to reffernce so I was wondering if there was a way to get a mesh from my SL inventory and us it as a prop

ah ok then, turns out though I didn't need to anyways I found a model in the daz store that urned out to be just the thing i needed so now I don't have to gues at what I'm doing now yay, but thanks for the info If I want to do more impresive stuff I'll get in contact whit a mesh maker first and sort something out

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.