Texturizing mesh in gimp

foxiii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So long as you have the UV map for whatever you are texturing, it's the same whether you are using GIMP or Photoshop, or whatever.  If you don't, then you'll have to apply a temporary grid texture to your mesh object and then use that as a guide while you're creating the texture in GIMP.  As a dirt-level intro to creating textures with a UV map, try Natalia Zelmanov's tutorial >>> http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2007/03/day-181-creating-clothes-with-gimp.html  .  It's obvously intended for people who are making clothes, but it doesn't make any difference what you are making.  UV maps all work the same way.  They describe 2D "puzzle pieces" that wrap onto your model to describe its 3D surface. 

I'm somewhat confused by your question, but I will try to answer it.

Meshes have a UV map. This is a layout of the mesh's surface unwrapped to be flat for texturing. In your 3D program, you can export this UV map as an image file like jpeg. Many 3d programs will also allow you to make things like normal maps, and specular maps, or images to help you make them. I would normally combine all those maps into 1 layered psd file. Whether the UV maps are a jpeg, png, or psd, you should be able to import them into Gimp. From there you would apply your textures to the UV maps and line things up. You can check if the mapping fits right on the mesh by importing your image into the 3d program and applying it to the mesh. When you are done, you just upload the final image into SL, and apply it to the mesh.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that it hasn't been updated since 2010, but it's still a good intro.  The dirt-level basics don't change that much. That's very odd about the link, though.  It worked for me before I posted it.  Here it is again ( I just went there, so I know it's alive) >>> http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2007/03/day-181-creating-clothes-with-gimp.html

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.