RenderVolumeLODFactor on viewer 3.6.6.280963

Nova Convair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This viewer is the former materials beta viewer and obviously got promoted to be the official viewer now.

1st observation

The slider for object details in the graphics settings corresponds with the debug setting: RenderVolumeLODFactor. If I set one of the 2 the other will have the same value. Well, thats nice since it makes changing this setting easier but it's new to me.
If that feature isn't new - why did nobody tell me?

2nd observation

The calculation has changed. At the system default of 1.125 I can see everything in view range (thats the whole sim) fully detailed. All meshes and sculpties. I need to lower it below 0.5 b4 things start to crumple/vanish.
Conclusion: The value of 1.125 has the same effect as the former 4.0. And the 2.0 of the ultra setting means I can see a cup of tea in all details over 2km. ( If I'd have a working telescope :D )

Well this is nice since I don't need to tell anyone anymore to set their LOD to 4 if they want to see something.

I'd consider that as a bugfix but the question is: what is it for the Lindens - a bug or a feature? :D

This viewer is the former materials beta viewer and obviously got promoted to be the official viewer now.

1st observation

The slider for object details in the graphics settings corresponds with the debug setting: RenderVolumeLODFactor. If I set one of the 2 the other will have the same value. Well, thats nice since it makes changing this setting easier but it's new to me.
If that feature isn't new - why did nobody tell me?

2nd observation

The calculation has changed. At the system default of 1.125 I can see everything in view range (thats the whole sim) fully detailed. All meshes and sculpties. I need to lower it below 0.5 b4 things start to crumple/vanish.
Conclusion: The value of 1.125 has the same effect as the former 4.0. And the 2.0 of the ultra setting means I can see a cup of tea in all details over 2km. ( If I'd have a working telescope :D )

Well this is nice since I don't need to tell anyone anymore to set their LOD to 4 if they want to see something.

I'd consider that as a bugfix but the question is: what is it for the Lindens - a bug or a feature? :D

1st observation

No idea why nobody told you, but it has been that way forever. The slider goes to from 0.0 to 2.0, any higher value is set by the debug menu.

2nd observation

Has to be a bug, but I don't see it. Everything here works like one would expect. Everything here works as it should.

People shouldn't set their LoDFactor to 4 unless they have a very high end machine. Well if they do, they have no right to complain about low fps anyway.

The fact that you can see small things while standing far away, is due to the recent changes to the interest list. It used to be determined by the avatar position, and is now determined from the camera position. But that's not "so new" as well.

The distances at where an objects Level Of Detail  switches (which can be adjusted with RVLODF) haven't changed.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

1st observation

No idea why nobody told you, but it has been that way forever. The slider goes to from 0.0 to 2.0, any higher value is set by the debug menu.

2nd observation

Has to be a bug, but I don't see it.
Everything here works like one would expect.
Everything here works as it should.

People shouldn't set their LoDFactor to 4 unless they have a very high end machine. Well if they do, they have no right to complain about low fps anyway.

My slider goes from 0 to 8 maybe that got my attention.

A higher LOD factor allows to see detailed mesh/sculpt in greater distances or allows to see them at all in normal distances. For LOD 4 a medium machine is fully sufficient. ( that is a former high end machine but time schange :) )

arton Rotaru wrote:

The fact that you can see small things while standing far away, is due to the recent changes to the interest list. It used to be determined by the avatar position, and is now determined from the camera position. But that's not "so new" as well.

The distances at where an objects Level Of Detail  switches (which can be adjusted with RVLODF) haven't changed.

I did not move my camera and I know teh changes. Your statement is irrelevant.

Nova Convair wrote:

My slider goes from 0 to 8 maybe that got my attention.

Weird, mine goes from (low-high) from 0-2 as I said. Same viewer version.

A higher LOD factor allows to see detailed mesh/sculpt in greater distances or allows to see them at all in normal distances. For LOD 4 a medium machine is fully sufficient. ( that is a former high end machine but time schange
:)
)

Well I'll admit nothing is cast in stone in relation to this. But I build my items with "normal" settings in mind, no debug or TPV settings. That means I often can get away with a very detailed highest LoD. If people set their LODFactor too high, those objects will be seen from twice the distance, which can add a terrible amount of geometry on screen at any given time (not to mention the lower LoDs switching later). Most local lag is due to texture memory I suppose, so it might not be that bad. It's really hard to measure. Anyway, I build my items in such a way that LODFactor 2 is perfectly fine.

Nova Convair wrote:

arton Rotaru wrote:

I did not move my camera and I know teh changes. Your statement is irrelevant.

I'm sorry, but your opening post did not make much sense, because the LOD factor has nothing to do with what you can see or not. That's determined by the interest list, and that's the onyl thing that changed in that regard.

If you can't or couldn't see small objects with a reasonable LODfactor setting before, it is because the object has poor LOD's. An object which has a lowest LOD that still looks like an object, and not just like a triangle or a blob (sculpys) will be perfectly visible from any distance, regardless of the LOD's factor. Any distance that the interest list determines to show, at least.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.