Skin

nahladahl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I just joined SL a few days ago and I've been looking at the marketplace and at shops in world for some skins and face shape. While I like the skin and face shape, I don't like not being able to edit the body to my preference. Now this could be because I use demo versions of the skin but I wanted to know if there were good quality female skins/ female face shapes that could be edited?

So I just joined SL a few days ago and I've been looking at the marketplace and at shops in world for some skins and face shape. While I like the skin and face shape, I don't like not being able to edit the body to my preference. Now this could be because I use demo versions of the skin but I wanted to know if there were good quality female skins/ female face shapes that could be edited?

There is no such thing as a "face shape" and your skin has nothing to do with the ability to edit your shape, because both are absolute seperate things. Your shape has sliders for a varity of bodyparts and settings. Have you still one of the shapes that came with the account? Have you some brought shape?

I'm not able to tell why you can't click "edit" at your currently used shape right now.

So no matter where I buy my skin, I should still have the ability to use the sliders to change the body shape?

Yes I do still have the shapes that came with the account and some from freebie island. Like I said before, it must have been because they were demo skins.

Demo skins can't have any influence on your shape. You can edit all the shapes you created by yourself or got with the account. Have you tried to edit your current shape?

You can either select it in your inventory or right-click your avatar and chose "edit shape". This should give you an interface to edit your shape.

nahladahl wrote:

So no matter where I buy my skin, I should still have the ability to use the sliders to change the body shape?

Yes I do still have the shapes that came with the account and some from freebie island. Like I said before, it must have been because they were demo skins.

Skins and shapes are different and separate things - the "shape" is the 3D form of your avatar and the "skin" is basically painted on it. You can use a skin from one place and a shape from another, or make a new shape. If you were using the shapes that come with skin demos they're not normally editable because demos are only samples and the maker will want you to buy the full version. If you pay for a shape make sure it comes with "modify" permissions - that determines whether or not you can use the sliders.

Demo shapes usually can not be edited, they usually present with huge hands and feet to discourage people from using them without purchasing the real thing. Some allow you to edit the 'real thing,' after you buy it, some don't. I'd personally never buy a shape I couldn't mod, and if you end up purchasing a shape be careful to note if it can be modified.

You can create your own unique shape using one of the base shapes in your Library that comes with your account. Use the sliders to adjust it, then use "save as" and name it something you'll remember. When I edit my shape I usually name the new shape with the date and the name of the skin I adjusted it for.

Purchased skins are normally non-mod, meaning none of the sliders will have any effect on the skin features. Some skins may allow you to adjust the lip color slightly via the sliders, but most are non-mod. Skins vary a lot from creator to creator, so a shape that works well with one skin may not look as good with a different skin. Personally I find I almost always have to adjust the lips slightly to work with whatever skin I choose.

Skins worth buying always have a demo to try out before you purchase and provide samples of the skin in different shades and makeup options. They also usually come with a demo shape included in the box that goes with the skin.  'When I'm looking for a new skin I usually shop in-world, and gather many demos, go back home and try 'em all out. One skin may look great with my shape, another may look just horrid, but with the many many choices of skins in all sorts of styles, it can be fun. I'd do a search in the Avatar or Fasion forum for "best skin stores" or something similar as there have been many, many  threads that have the names of some of the more popular skin stores in SL. There are also some blogs and in-world groups devoted to skins, those can be very helpful as well.

I'll start you out with these skin stores: LAQ, Pink Fuel, AlVulo, Pulse (Avatar Art), Glam Affair, Redgrave, Unique, Filthy, Curio, and there are tons more - and these are just the mostly 'human' type skins... there's a whole bunch of designers who create fantasy skins as well. Try a bunch and have fun! Eventually you'll find your unique look - or another option is to create your own skin as many people have.. but that's another thread all on it's own, lol, for another time!

Here are the standard sizing shapes used by some mesh clothing creators:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Standard-Sizing-Package-Updated-Male-Female/2894727http://

This is free from the marketplace.

When adusting your shape using the shape edit feature there are some gotchas:

Don't expect the middle of the sliders (50) to yeild an average normal avi.  Instead you'll end up with a deformed mishapened human-like figure.  Arm length use something over 70.  The height using the Linden Lab viewer is not the height of the avi but some component of the avi that will yeild an avi taller than real life.  Some people choose to have their avi taller than real life so they will fit the oversized SL furniture.  There are many threads in this forum that can give advice on avi shapes. 

Mesh clothing (the newest kind of SL clothing) comes with alpha layers to hide any part your avi's shape that sticks out of the clothing so don't feel you need to conform but always get the demo version of mesh clothing to see if it works with your avi.

Have fun!

• 3 years later...

SL Skin & Shape Bored.
13 Years 13 Years SL SL will not even decent to each other.
make Realdoll skin (shape).
Why should you wear a **bleep** separately for Mamen? Does this just automaticly, in X4 Excite suks, way overpriced. For a woman once a Skirt attracts Is your **bleep** there wondering if you telpel ect ect and their moons me **bleep** LOL.

It is so simple to suit all skin (shape) to 300 Anchor points.
For example, one is occupied, the next next to it can be used.
From head to toe 300 anchors for Wear stuf and wham ready.

Genders simply installing without solves wear .. very simple.

Instead of money 13 years of iron.
Does modern silicone avatars so as to do in Japan.
Makes LAG get away 13 Year Lag is still the same as 13 years ago.

SL and Scrip makers must get together to work better together.
Also they make those clothes ect. SL and work even better together, it's a uinhoop.
Especially as long as avatars not get more confirmation (wear anchors Point).
As long as the sex is not already installed, any **bleep** will always go off again.
Very not very professionals in 13 Years SL LindenLab not get to each other.

locks To laugh your death.
Sex with a Parter Geheen entertainment stores in 13 years on nothing.
**bleep** of my husband sticks through my stomach

Come on SL Linden Lab.
Make Siliocoon Avatar Real doll as in Japan.
Makes up and down 300 points Confirmation So not one another detach.
Make the sex entertainment in licheem fixed male and female. This perfectly matches.
Remove a LAG all those stuff, same as 13 years ago.
Throw Country tier back down way too expensive. Therefore, countries are empty and shops
Spend more elven avatars ect.
Work better with everyone.
Listen to the people, we have the power, without us, no SL.

Hope rapid new update especially avatars and gender. no extra wear and detach hassle by little attachment points.
Like the vieuwer.

sucses,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.