How do I change my avatar's appearance? Both physical and his clothes.

Splicer13456

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know how to get into my inventory and whatnot but I can't change my guys clothes or physical appearance I clicked the wrench icon but it only lets me change my jacket and a few other things. Just downloaded this game like 45 mins ago. Do I have to go to a store or plastic surgeon? Any help would be greatly appreciated :matte-motes-smile:

3 answers to this question

I know how to get into my inventory and whatnot but I can't change my guys clothes or physical appearance I clicked the wrench icon but it only lets me change my jacket and a few other things. Just downloaded this game like 45 mins ago. Do I have to go to a store or plastic surgeon? Any help would be greatly appreciated :matte-motes-smile:

Welcome to Second Life, Splicer.  The immediate answer to your question (at least the simplest part of it) is here.  After a couple of days of practice, you'll discover other ways to enhance your appearance too.

Let me suggest a couple of ways to get started quickly in SL, because I know you will have many questions. First, the Knowledge Base is your friend (the tab at the top of this page will take you there).  It is full of basic and advanced articles about many of the common topics that people ask about.  I suggest starting with this article and then wandering through others as your curiosity leads you.   Then, I strongly recommend visiting Caledon Oxbridge University or NCI in world to follow their excellent self-paced tutorials.  Both are excellent, safe places to start in SL, and you will usually find experienced SL residents who are ready to answer questions too.  You can find both places easily both using your Search function.  Finally, as you have questions that you can't answer in one of those places, come back here.  That's what Answers is for.

The wrench icon is ONLY for editing editable clothing layers and avatar shapes.  Not all clothes or shapes have the ability to be modified.

I suggest you start with a modifyable shape.  Use the Appearance/Edit Shape sliders to customize it to your liking.  Then look for a nice skin.  There are some pretty good free ones out there, and even more for sale.  Skins are nearly always No Modify, so try the demos for them first, if they are not freebies.

Clothing layers (the clothing items that have inventory symbols that actually look like articles of clothing) always fit.  They are "painted on" textures.

Attached pieces (anything with the inventory symbol of a box) may need to be edited to fit.  THAT kind of editing is done by right clicking the attachment and selecting Edit.

For more, see my blog post, "One for the VERY New Avatar"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.