Unable To See Anyone's Skin Texture

HawkEyeWolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Out of nowhere I am unable to see anyone's skin texture including mine, but I can see attachments or mesh objects textures. I tried rebaking, clearing cache, uninstalling and reinstalling my viewer (firestorm) to see if I didn't do a clean install the last time, I resetting everything in my preferences and also tried changing avatars but none of it worked. Is there something I'm doing wrong? 'Cause this is quite annoying and I would appreciate it if someone could kindly help me out.

Out of nowhere I am unable to see anyone's skin texture including mine, but I can see attachments or mesh objects textures. I tried rebaking, clearing cache, uninstalling and reinstalling my viewer (firestorm) to see if I didn't do a clean install the last time, I resetting everything in my preferences and also tried changing avatars but none of it worked. Is there something I'm doing wrong? 'Cause this is quite annoying and I would appreciate it if someone could kindly help me out.

Texture baking when server side a bit ago. If you haven't logged on since then and haven't UPATED YOUR VIEWER -- that's your problem. There were plenty of notices but if you were gone you missed them.

You can use the Linden viewer, Firestorm, Singularity and most likely many other third party viewers. If you don't upgrade skins and textures will remain gray to you and you look that way to other folks. So time for an update.

HawkEyeWolf wrote:

I'm using a wifi connection. Have been using it for almost a year now and I never had this issue before till a few days ago.

That does not mean a problem may not have developed with your connection / Internet service. 

Which is also why it is important to verify and/or eliminate it.

Second Life is very demanding of a stable connection.

I had to re-install and use an old pre-mesh version of phoenix the other day because i couldn't resize or move the land control panel in singularity, but thats another story.

While everyone else was a highly amusing assortment of grey bodies and attached colored blobs, i saw myself perfectly, and it wasn't cached either, i was wearing my current outfit :)

I'm having the same problem, although I'm currently using a tethered cell phone for my laptop. Everything loads but the skins. I'm using the latest firestorm viewer, have updated my graphics drivers, cleared cache, but nothing seems to rezz the skins. Everyone is gray. Interesting though....when I go in to appearance and choose edit shape or outfit...boom I come in full color skin and all but the moment I go out of appearance. Back to gray.

Natalia Corvale wrote:

I'm having the same problem, although I'm currently using a tethered cell phone for my laptop. Everything loads but the skins. I'm using the latest firestorm viewer, have updated my graphics drivers, cleared cache, but nothing seems to rezz the skins. Everyone is gray. Interesting though....when I go in to appearance and choose edit shape or outfit...boom I come in full color skin and all but the moment I go out of appearance. Back to gray.

It's the tethered cell phone connection. Some cellular carriers handle certain types of communication in ways that are incompatible with the server-side appearance process. T-Mobile is known for causing problems, for instance. Monty LInden is asking for people to file bug reports if they have these problems so they can figure out if there's a way to get around this. More info in this thread:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/SSB-via-T-Mobile-cellphone/m-p/2203481#M11978

HawkEyeWolf wrote:

i am using just a regular PC and a wifi connection that I have been using since I set up my PC up to it, but just recently all od this has been happening. 

We are going in circles here with out more info.  The old saying is that the Devil is in the details and with out some details no one here can really help you.  We will all just be peeing into the wind.

Please provide the following info.  From your Viewer, go to HELP/ABOUT and copy and paste all the info from there to here.

Also the results from http://www.pingtest.net/ and www.speedtest.net/    Choose Dallas or San Francisco to run these tests.

Additionally, make sure that you don't have any other programs running in the background chewing up your CPU cycles.  Use your Task Manager to check this. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.