Second Life 3.6.4 (280048) Aug 19 2013 21:45:32 (Second Life Release) "memory leak"

iceing Braveheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After minor extended use of the Second Life 3.6.4 (280048) Aug 19 2013 21:45:32 (Second Life Release) I am finding the performance of sl greatly degraded and sluggish and hard locking my pc with video card out of memory errors resulting in full system crashes hard restarts

so I started doing a lil retracing of my steps right now been in sl maybe 5 minutes and already using over 1205MB gpu memory it just keeps climbing endlessly per sim visited and duration logged in and distance traveled in a sim watching the usage climb real time with nvidia inspector

quite a cosmic memory leak to crash out a 3GB card and would probably crash out a titan with a leak this size as it seams to have no boundaries I guess I will just have to really limit my usage of second life to very little to none to take precaution of Linden labs viewer causing irreversible damage to my pc

After minor extended use of the Second Life 3.6.4 (280048) Aug 19 2013 21:45:32 (Second Life Release) I am finding the performance of sl greatly degraded and sluggish and hard locking my pc with video card out of memory errors resulting in full system crashes hard restarts

so I started doing a lil retracing of my steps right now been in sl maybe 5 minutes and already using over 1205MB gpu memory it just keeps climbing endlessly per sim visited and duration logged in and distance traveled in a sim watching the usage climb real time with nvidia inspector

quite a cosmic memory leak to crash out a 3GB card and would probably crash out a titan with a leak this size as it seams to have no boundaries I guess I will just have to really limit my usage of second life to very little to none to take precaution of Linden labs viewer causing irreversible damage to my pc

Try a clean install.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

If still experiencing a memory leak, open a new JIRA. You could also use another viewer of course and see if ok with it.

You may like to read this thread too and a solution for a previous memory leak:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/How-to-fix-memory-leak-crashes/td-p/1689161

I find my copy of 280048 seems to be using more memory than previous versions. I see memory going up and coming down. On my Win7. I am using about 1.1gb.

Check the other components of your system. When you don't give us computer specs from the viewer's Help->About... we can only make wild guesses at to what's wrong. So, you may be doing a clean install for no reason.

NVidia and ATI drivers are known to have problems. I'm running on 320.49, the latest stable release.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

I find my copy of 280048 seems to be using more memory than previous versions. I see memory going up and coming down. On my Win7. I am using about 1.1gb.

Check the other components of your system. When you don't give us computer specs from the viewer's Help->About... we can only make wild guesses at to what's wrong. So, you may be doing a clean install for no reason.

NVidia and ATI drivers are known to have problems. I'm running on 320.49, the latest stable release.

320.49 seems to be quite a buggy driver going by comments on game forums such as here http://pcabusers.org/forums/showthread.php?p=335463 but you may be on to something if the OP is using 320.49 as there is reference to it being the cause of a memory leak http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3173759

Hiya thx for reply this was with a clean install where the previous sl client was uninstalled and the new one manually downloaded and installed and cache was cleaned and I also cleaned/deleted sl files from here 

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\SecondLife

I have no idea what sl was using for system ram on its exe at the time I never thought to look at that at the time I only looked at system ram usage during it because it was a system hard lock and not only client and the system ram usage was only at 33% which is a perfectly fine figure it would have to be at around 100% in order to hardlock the system so I don't think this is system ram related when I went to check what the ram usage was on video card I could not check with out getting errors out of memory so my guess is sl leaked to the maximum the video card could handle and beyond until it finally crashed completely out I ran a lil test after to see if it was possible and it looked perfectly possible as I jumped back in sl and 5 minutes into the session I was already using over 1.3GB of video card memory and still climbing

My PC
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Corsair Dominator 8GB
Asus M4N78 pro
SAMSUNG 50" LED HDTV model UN50EH6000FXZC @ 1920x1080
"Titan Jr." EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC
Connection HDMI to HDMI
XF-I Extreme Music
Western Digital Silicon Blue Edge 256GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K350
Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W
Cooler Master HAF 932

That is very interesting as I am currently using that exact driver version

320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql & PhysX-9.13.0725-SystemSoftware

my video card is only supported by two whql driver versions GeForce 320.49 Driver WHQL & GeForce 320.18 Driver WHQL & several beta versions though I would really prefer not to put a beta driver in my system as it has not been tested and verified and nvidia has told me directly twice that modifying drivers is not recommend or supported

I have played many other games/apps with out issue only sl has single handedly actually crashed my pc/video card

iceing Braveheart wrote:

320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql & PhysX-9.13.0725-SystemSoftware

I had problems with NVidia's driver 320.49 version. For example the computer would occasionally totally freeze for about from five to ten seconds.  Latest Linden Lab viewer also tended to crash the driver often.

I downgraded back to driver 314.22 version and the computer lock ups dissappeared. Even though the viewer still crashes the driver occasionally it happens less often with this driver version than was the case with 320.49 version.

My specs:

Second Life 3.6.4 (280048) Aug 19 2013 21:45:32 (Second Life Release)

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.17 MHz)

Memory: 8169 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1422

OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

Your system is fine. Do not adjust.

Second Life 3.6.4 (280048) is, mildly put, plainly awful. Memory leakage is out of control.

This viewer needs to be dumped asap. I expect viewer updates to arrive soon, if LL acknowledges this issue before people stop using it altogether.

TDD123 wrote:

Your system is fine. Do not adjust.

Second Life 3.6.4 (280048) is, mildly put, plainly awful.
Memory leakage is out of control.

This viewer needs to be dumped asap. I expect viewer updates to arrive soon, if LL acknowledges this issue before people stop using it altogether.

How can you say the system is fine while Iceing is using the bugged Nvidia driver 320.49, which is known to have a memory leak and other bugs? Unfortunately, he can't go back to 314.22 as his card is too new so no way to tell if it's the viewer or driver in his case.

Edit: I read what you say in the other thread so maybe some people are being affected more than others using this viewer but Iceing has no shortage of memory and has a fantastic system.

This is a Linden Labs second life viewer memory leak and not driver related. I have tested with infinity other apps, games and only second life's viewer behaves like this. I also uploaded a picture where the only thing running on pc was second life and second life had used up over 2.4GB of video card memory. While virtually anything and everything you do with the second life viewer increases video card memory usage endlessly the fastest way to lag a system out and maximize memory usage would be to minimize and unminimize the Linden Labs second life client works like a charm every time and can be done with in seconds/minutes tops and you can maximize and lag out the video card in any pc on earth doing this as the leak does not seem to have any boundaries that I know of.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/130207i1282B4BA6BFAF635/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

The memory leak is fixed here :smileyvery-happy:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.6.6.280797

strangely they did not fix the leak in there other viewer Snowstorm why do they have three separate beta's at same time?

I downloaded and installed Second Life Snowstorm Viewer version 3.6.6.280979 and it leaked memory like crazy I had to uninstall it immediately 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.6.6.280979

but in Second Life Materials Viewer version 3.6.6.280963 it is fixed

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.6.6.280963

and

Second Life Maintenance Viewer version 3.6.6.280939 appears to be fixed

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.6.6.280939

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.