steam particle

BadEddy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

seems like I have no talent with particle. I have this bit of water and want a slow steem to rise from it. Whatever I try I end up with pufs of steam shot here and there and I never have that wow effect I would like to get. 

So I'm looking for help. Anyone know where to find that good script that generates that or would like to point me in the right direction to customize those I already have.... ? Any help will be great

Thanks

Hello

seems like I have no talent with particle. I have this bit of water and want a slow steem to rise from it. Whatever I try I end up with pufs of steam shot here and there and I never have that wow effect I would like to get. 

So I'm looking for help. Anyone know where to find that good script that generates that or would like to point me in the right direction to customize those I already have.... ? Any help will be great

Thanks

Peter's right about visiting the Particle Lab.  If nothing else, Jopsy has a fairly nice steam script that you can copy for free in the sandbox there.  The real magic of good steam, though, is in the texture you use.  Make a texture that grades smoothly from about 30% alpha to 100% alpha from its center to its edges, and let the color grade from near white to a steely gray over that same distance.  You'll have to experiment with several Local Texture uploads to get an effect that looks best to you.  Use that texture on particles that are fairly large (0.5m or so) and let them become larger and more transparent as they age.  You'll have to mess with the other particle parameters in your script to get the right density of steam and to get the particles to move very slowly away from the emitter

Peter is right.  You can really get lost in playing with particles but it can be oh so much fun.

It's also a great way to start learning a little bit about scripting. 

The Particle Lab is awesome. 

I'd highly suggest leaving a tip.  It is Resident run and worth it's weight in emitters.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.