Clearing Local / nearby chat without logging off ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2934 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You'll need to manually clear your chat logs on your local hard drive (from http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Text-chat-and-instant-messages/ta-p/700155):

Log files

Log files are saved to a location that depends on you operating system:

• Windows XPC:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\SecondLife\Avatarname\chat.txt
  • Windows 7 and VistaC:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\chat.txt
  • Mac OSXUsers/Username/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/Avatarname/chat.txt

Where Username is your system account name and Avatarname is your Second Life username.

32px-KBcaution.png Important: You may need to enable your file browser's ability to view hidden files to access your chat logs at their default location. 

Do you mean clearing local chat that is on your screen while you're inworld?  I know at one time a friend told me about a keystroke combo that would do that; just did a quick search and can't find it but one thing you can do is change the amount of time the text stays on your screen if you don't have your local text window up and are seeing chat on the screen itself.  If you go to the middle of the page here it tells how to change your settings to fade text.

I have my on screen chat set to fade fairly rapidly because when I chat in local I open the local chat window.  When I'm done with local chat (or don't want to see it anymore) I just close out the window.

Note:  This is all based on viewers using a v1 interface.  I have no earthly idea how the official LL v3 viewer works.

Thank you for your replies so far. this is exactly what I am talking about though:

localchat.png

Here is why I want this:

I use this product currently to make my sculpty stuff and it puts all the code it needs in chat. and it gets rather long.

If I could clear it out.. it would make creating things much easier...

If you're using Firestorm, go to Preferences > 'Firestorm''Cmdline 1' tab, and you'll see there what the command is for clearing local chat. By default it's clrchat, so you simply type that in local chat:

clrchat

... and it'll all be gone :smileywink:

As you'll see in that section of the preferences, you can also change the command used for local chat clearing to any other text you like. A trick I use is to add a / symbol before that and all other commands available in preferences, so that in my case, what I type in local chat to clear it is actually this...

/clrchat

... the advantage being that, since it's now preceded by the / symbol, my avatar doesn't start visibly & audibly typing in local chat until I finish entering the command and press Intro.

I thought that's what you meant.  I'm almost positive there used to be a keystroke combo to delete existing local chat.  I'll keep looking and post here if I find it.

ETA: Renn beat me to it.  It wasn't a keystroke combo, it's a command. But I knew *something* existed because I used it long ago.  Thank you for this info Renn!!!

ETA (again): For Singularity users I found this under Preferences ->System->Command Line (last selection in first column) - just tested it - works like a charm!!!!

Glad you asked that, Latamier...it's a handy little tip to know. :)

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2934 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.