Crashing right after logging in D:

Narcissa Larkham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3928 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I posted this in answers but I'm posting it again since I cannot reply to the answers and my issue is not resolved:

Right after I log on and usually before my avatar loads, I crash.  I'm having this problem with the linden viewer, exodus viewer and Nirans viewer.  However, I'm not having the problem on the Singularity viewer or Firestorm viewer.  I did a clean uninstall of all the viewers and re-installed everything but to no avail.  I really need to use the Linden viewer because it the only one I can use to take good pictures without my computer slowing to a crawl.

My specs according to Speccy:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD A8-3520M 56 °C
Llano 32nm Technology
RAM
6.00GB DDR3 @ 674MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1805 (Socket FS1) 55 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6620G (HP) 56 °C
Hard Drives
596GB TOSHIBA MK6476GSX SATA Disk Device (SATA) 51 °C
Optical Drives
hp CDDVDW SN-208BB SATA CdRom Device
VWPKPC ZO1Q34TU SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

My notifications are not capped (I had 2 notifications when I logged into firestorm), and I don't receive any error message but crash logger pops up every time to send the info to Linden Labs.  I'm wondering if it could possibly be an issue with the new AMD beta driver I downloaded:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-8WINBetaDriver.aspx

since the crash seems to happen when downloading objects right after logging in.  I've also tried lowering my graphics settings all the way to low but that also has not helped.

I would greatly appreciate any help as linden viewer happens to be my viewer of choice (weird, I know!) 

Narcissa, sorry to say but your machine is hardly up to the task. It's rather old and slow and doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card but some onboard chip. Apart from that I recommed you check your internet connection with a speedtest.org to Dallas and find out your connection speed. Also don't use wireless but plug into the router if possible at all. In viewer set your bandwith to 500, if plugged in to maximal 1500.

My laptop is less than two years old, has a processor equivelant of an i5, and is capable of running all viewers on High without slowing down and can run the Linden Viewer on high with shadows enabled without slowing down.  It's much more than second life's reccomended specs so I'm really not sure what you're talking about.  One doesn't need a high end machine to run second life.

Try using a wired (ethernet) connection to start with. If it goes more back to normal, you know where to look.

I imagine Orca isn't intending any offence, but clearly your set-up isn't working at the moment and so things may need to change temporily so that the issue can be discovered.

I connected my computer with an ethernet cable, but I'm still crashing.  I'm not having any problems with speed or freezing, I'm having problems when it says "downloading clothing" at the begining, I crash.  I've tried to switch locations a few times and it buys me a few extra seconds but ultimately, I crash. D:

My guess: To use shadows you need to enable a setting called in various viewers "Lighting and Shadows," "Deferred Rendering" or "Advanced Lighting Model" (it's the same thing with any of these names). I'm assuming that you had it enabled in the LL viewer and Niran's and Exodus probably would enable it as well.

Singularity and Firestorm, on the other hand, may not turn it on by default for your machine. I know, for instance, that a certain project manager at Firestorm isn't a fan of this mode and has resisted the viewer turning it on by default in the past. Possibly your crashing is because of having the advanced lighting option on combined with AMD beta drivers. It's usually a safe assumption that AMD OpenGL drivers are the culprit in a wide variety of problems, up to and including sunspots or crop failure.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

It's usually a safe assumption that AMD OpenGL drivers are the culprit in a wide variety of problems, up to and including sunspots or crop failure.

LOL you could be very right about that!  I checked in preferences, I have the graphics currently set at low (on someone else's advice to try out) with nothing checked at all.  I guess I could try figuring out how to get rid of the beta driver and go back to the regular one and see if that works.

I'm having this same issue on a system with an AMD Radeon HD7850.

With anything but the 13.4 "official" drivers and anything prior, which are 4 months out of date now, SL loads into the world, some parts of the world load, but my AV does not. Within about 5 seconds, my viewer crashes without warning. This happens on Niran's, Exodus, Catznip, and both the current and beta LL viewers.

Up til now, I've had no pressing reasons to update, but as of 13.8 beta 2, there are significant performance and latency improvements across a number of new games, and it's forced my hand to update my drivers, meaning now I can't run SL.

No other programs have this issue, and some quick googling points to updates to OpenGL in the latest AMD drivers having to do with it, with SL failing several OpenGL calls when crashing on the new drivers.

I have no idea how to see this issue addressed, as no other programs running primarily on OpenGL (such as Awesomenauts, which I play), have these crashes, and I feel that contacting SL support will push nothing along.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3928 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.