So when is Linden Labs coming out the Oculus Rift viewer?

AlucardRaven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so the CEO said that they are planning to come out with an Oculus Rift viewer sometime before the end of the summer, well its august and the end of summer usually is end of August (yeah end of Sept technically but...I consider the end of august more of the end of summer) It would be nice if they posted a bit more about that instead of just a few blurbs .  get the community involved, invite users who already have the Oculus Rift to test out the new viewer.....it just would be nice if Linden Labs provide a better timetable and infomation about when they are planning to come out with the viewer, i thought someone else was working on one but apparently he abandoned it.  some firestorm people i hear have a Rift but no word whatsoever when they will come out with a viewer.

Please dont turn this into another half baked feature that you annouce for months and then totally scrap (i.e. the whole age vierification process)  id be nice to see a blog or some sort of an offical post by Linden Labs regaurding the progress of their Oculus Rift intigration,  heck. it would even be better if they posted in the offical dev forums and showcased their progress.

but anyways please dont take forever for this to happen please.  I really really would like to use second life with the Oculus Rift and id hope to see it happen sometime soon thanks!

(face palm icon goes here) Where is it that the Lindens said 'release' by end of summer?

The Rift it self is still in development and yet to be released to a retail channel. They were targeting that for summer of 2014. Releasing a viewer in the summer of 2013 for something not yet on the market would be about as smart you attempt to make the Lindens sound.

Wired just had an article saying the release is STILL unannounced. See: Oculus Rift Plus Motion Controls Make Shooting Almost Too Realistic. They talk about the controllers to go with the Rift: Razer’s Hydra motion controllers.

I am thinking the LEAP Motion may work better for me.

From http://allthingsd.com/20130705/fifteen-questions-for-linden-lab-ceo-rod-humble-about-second-lifes-tween-years/

And you have a working version of Second Life on the Rift?

Yes. We have it up and running, and right now we’re working on usability. You need to integrate it with the Rift so you can look around and touch things. I think it’s late summer when it’ll be public. I’ve ridden on a train within Second Life with the Oculus Rift on, and it’s very cool.

This is where.

AlucardRavens..  Oops..:smileysurprised:  sorry.. 
AlucardRaven
wrote:

..it just would be nice if
Linden Labs
Linden Lab
provide a better..

..post by
Linden Labs
Linden Lab
regaurding the progress..

Linden-Lab.jpg

http://lindenlab.com/

About Linden Lab

Linden Lab is a developer of digital entertainment that inspires users to create, socialize, share — and have fun.

(Using once again the offered opportunity to remind people that there is no S letter in the company name.)
(Thank you for your attention.)

:matte-motes-big-grin:  :smileywink:  :smileytongue:

• 2 weeks later...

really? you needed to do that because i posted an "s" in the name?.  Think that can be a problem with LL then. if they care more about someone putting an s at the end.  then updates on features like Oculus Rift. and leave it to Linden LAB to have the CEO say "oh we beleive it will be out by the end of the summer" only to haveg another linden say..."we dont know when it will be out".

"sighs". and by the way all you had to do was just comment "there is no s in labs" not act like a 5th grade grammer teach corrector thank you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.