NEED HELP WITH LSL Scripting.....

JayKennedy123

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3924 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there. I'm new to SL and I've noticed there are several different skills used in SL that enable you to create things like AOs, Clothes, skins etc. 

I've attempted graphics but I've never been too great at that sort of stuff. So, I'm thinking of giving LSL ago. I currently have full knowledge of Visual Basic , basic knowledge of C# and very little knowledge of .php . 

I don't know if any of this will be of much use to me but who knows. Anyway, I was hoping someone could help/teach me, guide me towards TUTs or even give me some code that I could learn off of???

Any of this would be hugely helpful!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Jay.  Welcome to SL and to the Scripting Forum.     You might want to take a look at this thread, from when the forum started in its present form: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/Starting-with-LSL/td-p/700721.  That gives a pretty good run-down.

I got started by checking out the in-world College of Scripting (see the thread for details), joining their group, and asking lots of questions there and here.

You won't find LSL much of a problem if you have that sort of prior programming experience - the thing people find hardest is the logic of what they want to do, thinking it through and the event-driven nature of things in SL.  You should be familiar with all of those so it's 'just' a matter of syntax :-)

There are oddities, of course.  One of the unusual features is 'states' but you can happily ignore them forever, or at least just use the mandatiry "default" state for everything until you find a really good reason not to.  This is normal practice for all of us, not just beginners.  Also remember that LSL is a scripting language for manipulating objects in SL and, as such, it is not as full-featured as general-purpose programming languages like the ones you're used to.  You will, for instance, learn the joys of living within a 64k or even 16k limit and "lists" being about your only data structure.  None of this should be difficult, just awkward.

One of the best ways to get started if you don't just want to read loads of stuff is to visit NCI (an in-world volunteer helper organisation) - teleport to Kuula sim for their main location - or another similar group, such as Caledon Oxbridge (sim of the same name) who have an excellent walkthrough of most aspects of SL.  These groups run free, regular 'live' scripting classes and workshops where you can ask questions of the instructors.  Be warned though, you might find some of these a bit slow or shallow as they are generally aimed at complete non-programmers.

When I started I paid for everything in SL from the prizes I won in the numerous competitions NCI, and other, groups run for new residents who wish to demonstrate their developing skills.  The best news is that it's pretty easy to earn a (second) living by writing scripts for people on contract or writing for yourself and selling copies/licences to other people.  Do not, on the other hand, expect to make anything like RL wages from SL.  It can be done, but really only as a service you offer your RL clients, not from SL residents per se unless/until you have a large range of products including builds, textures, animations, sounds and all the other goodies as well as just scripts.

[*Hehe* I have to laugh at your "several different skills" comment - EVERYTHING (>99.9%) in SL except the basic water/land/sky is made by us residents - which includes you now.  Welcome]

This is the place to come when you've got questions or want to show off *grin*.  It always helps us help you if you can post the script(s) you're working on so we can do code walkthroughs, rather than trying to describe everything (don't tell, show).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3924 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.