Jump to content

market place forcing ads???????


Darkchie
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Well in the last few days whenever i access the marketplace it now wants to try and force ads on me, iv never minded the adverts sat at the side of the screen but now every time i decided to go on mp, it pops up wanting me to authorise something or other so an advert can load and take me away from mp. I grow ever more dissapointed in LL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if you are meaning the side ads...I had that too was called ad sence,using firefox you have to click on the ad sence icon then go to opt out,then clean your cookies and everything and in firefox under Tools>Options>Privacy>Tracking...set it to Tell sites I do not want to be tracked...hope that helps...if its pop ups get a pop up blocker,and look for spywere

 

Conner D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Advertising is to be expected from an online service company doing as well as Linden Lab is, and especially in the sector of free-to-play, no-support-provided online services. There was previously little money to be made by LL from the shopping experience, and they feel that corny and deceitful adverts do not make the Second Life service look any worse. Even advertisements for pretend-MMO's from the current favourite third-world country to export labour from are welcome to be shown alongside careful and skilled work created by Second Life merchants, and it makes both offerings stronger.

The service is not degraded by allowing such things, our sensibilities and expectations are not relevant, because advertising happens everywhere. Two people are spying on you, please invest in our life insurance sucka scheme, and this *.zip file opener is definitely legit. I hope this answers your concerns.

I would advise against AdBlocker software - unless you know how to configure it correctly it will block your ability to view Marketplace and other sections of the SL website. SL developers do not have the ability to design a website that doesn't automatically get classed as junk by automated filters (or any browser that keeps halfway decent track of SSL auth), and somehow this is your fault.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Freya Mokusei wrote:

I would advise against AdBlocker software - unless you know how to configure it correctly it will block your ability to view Marketplace and other sections of the SL website. SL developers do not have the ability to design a website that doesn't automatically get classed as junk by automated filters (or any browser that keeps halfway decent track of SSL auth), and somehow this is your fault.

 

I use AdBlock+ and there was no configuring needed.  It does not block my ability to see the MP or anything else I want to see on the SL website...except those annoying ads.

ETA: There was previously little money to be made by LL from the shopping experience

Either you're kidding, have never had a MP store, or have no idea what you're talking about (probably all three), but LL makes plenty off of the MP, ergo their assumed attempts to drive more people to the online shopping site than in world by buying OnRez and the former Xstreet which LL then turned into the MP and closed OnRez.  5% commission is deducted from the price of each item listed on the MP that goes to LL; additionally merchants can purchase ads that one sees on the MP home page, which are not cheap.  The MP is a great money-maker for LL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:

Either you're kidding, have never had a MP store, or have no idea what you're talking about (probably all three)


Good eye, the entire post was me kidding around. ;)

The AdBlock issue seems real however. I haven't reproduced it myself, but many are complaining of it happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Freya Mokusei wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:

Either you're kidding, have never had a MP store, or have no idea what you're talking about (probably all three)


Good eye, the entire post was me kidding around.
;)

The AdBlock issue seems real however. I haven't reproduced it myself, but many are complaining of it happening.

OOoooo....you got me....lol.

(Ummmmm...I retract the "no idea what you're talking about" comment.)

*Blushes*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...