Is there clothing available that is not in the online marketplace?

SAYAxHIMURA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3934 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Definitely, some stores will sell things inworld that aren't available online and there are also stores that don't even have a presence on Marketplace.  It just depends on the individual merchants' business models.  I would suggest that you Google "Second Life fashion blog" and take a look at some... it's often the way I find out about places that sell things inworld only.

...Dres

• 2 weeks later...

erkumkum wrote:

Online stores usually sell machine made cloths in varieties and other stores offers handmade material also. You will find cloths of some popular boutiques from stores which are not available online.

In second life there is no such thing as "machine made" or "handmade" Technically it's all made by machine. And honestly even textures that are sourced of the internet have to be at least a little bit hand edited to fit the UV it's meant for. Don't let those people claiming to have "handmade" textures trick you into thinking there stuff is more special then the textures of others. It's a ploy they are not. All textures are at least to some extent "handmade" when it comes to clothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but I think what they mean is people using premade stuff and just sort of repackaging after changing the colors or putting in some scripts, but I am not sure.

As far as 'hand made' goes I see people say this about photoshop, but photoshop does exactly what a 3d software may do and has lighting (they move around a lighting thingy to say where the bulb or emitter is at and are not painting that stuff on there!)  effects, AO (maybe) and this stuff is generated.

They may hand sculpt the stuff in Zbrush or something else (anyone can try thier hand at this and produce commercial goods, if good enough, buy using blender or another 3d modeller to make the basic shape quick and then sculpt it quick in Sculptris) and it does take time. I think this is the distinction, some are just buying premade stuff and adding a bit or just scripts.

It is legal, but historically the marketplace was the best place to find templates for lcothing and then sculpties. Now, I imagine mesh full perms stuff are mostly all on the marketplace. I have to say though, charging more and selling full perms in world only may make the stuff much more desirable for some people who buy full perms and sell them with little modification. Those ones might follow the same route as the person making the full perms, and the same for those who like the marketplace website. They understand it, so they work that place they know? Just a hypothesis I suppose, but yeah there might even be prefabs in world but if they are from a obscure source you may not know anyway.

I am not saying it is easy, or that most of the market is made up of template and prefabs. But, I think this is what they mean by "machine" so I don't know. Some use software generated cloth simulation instead to make the bulk of the wrinkle and folds in thier clothing, they are also saying 'hand made' but ironically, this is half machine made really. Work is needed to clean it  up, fix a few bug or glitches and overall make it work for a moving avatar. But, people may think they hand paint all the dark shaded area around the edges, nope. They sculpt each wrinkle. nope. 'Machines' do it and they are seen as genius or amazing artists/sculptors lol. Once again, it does take work even with software generators.

Poenald Palen wrote:

Yes, but I think what they mean is people using premade stuff and just sort of repackaging after changing the colors or putting in some scripts, but I am not sure.

As far as 'hand made' goes I see people say this about photoshop, but photoshop does exactly what a 3d software may do and has lighting (they move around a lighting thingy to say where the bulb or emitter is at and are not painting that stuff on there!)  effects, AO (maybe) and this stuff is generated.

They may hand sculpt the stuff in Zbrush or something else (anyone can try thier hand at this and produce commercial goods, if good enough, buy using blender or another 3d modeller to make the basic shape quick and then sculpt it quick in Sculptris) and it does take time. I think this is the distinction, some are just buying premade stuff and adding a bit or just scripts.

It is legal, but historically the marketplace was the best place to find templates for lcothing and then sculpties. Now, I imagine mesh full perms stuff are mostly all on the marketplace. I have to say though, charging more and selling full perms in world only may make the stuff much more desirable for some people who buy full perms and sell them with little modification. Those ones might follow the same route as the person making the full perms, and the same for those who like the marketplace website. They understand it, so they work that place they know? Just a hypothesis I suppose, but yeah there might even be prefabs in world but if they are from a obscure source you may not know anyway.

I am not saying it is easy, or that most of the market is made up of template and prefabs. But, I think this is what they mean by "machine" so I don't know. Some use software generated cloth simulation instead to make the bulk of the wrinkle and folds in thier clothing, they are also saying 'hand made' but ironically, this is half machine made really. Work is needed to clean it  up, fix a few bug or glitches and overall make it work for a moving avatar. But, people may think they hand paint all the dark shaded area around the edges, nope. They sculpt each wrinkle. nope. 'Machines' do it and they are seen as genius or amazing artists/sculptors lol. Once again, it does take work even with software generators.

Yes but it's all machine work Even sculpting in Zbrush the machine is doing the work. Also I've found that these ones sculpted in Zbrush are waaay to high poly for there own good.  Having made the texture in  photoshop doesn't really make it less generated by machine as your still using filters and such to achieve effects. Also most of these "Handmade" texture places I've seen do in fact use template. It's really not bad to use templates either honestly as long as your actually ADDING to them and not just chaning color. So I really stand by my saying there is no "handmade" in second life and that those "handmade" items are of the same quality and equally "handmade" to those that do not carry the label.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

Poenald Palen wrote:

Yes but it's all machine work Even sculpting in Zbrush the machine is doing the work. Also I've found that these ones sculpted in Zbrush are waaay to high poly for there own good.  Having made the texture in  photoshop doesn't really make it less generated by machine as your still using filters and such to achieve effects. Also most of these "Handmade" texture places I've seen do in fact use template. It's really not bad to use templates either honestly as long as your actually ADDING to them and not just chaning color. So I really stand by my saying there is no "handmade" in second life and that those "handmade" items are of the same quality and equally "handmade" to those that do not carry the label.

You can click each vertex into existance and end up with a horribly unoptimized mesh, you are right that is almost doesn't make as much a difference as teh stats. Impact, or looks or proliferation is a key element they may be talking about....but....

We don't know! The claim of machine made is not clarified, we have no definition to really deal with. I would argue that machiine means fast and cheap, less attention to detail and prolificly available. This means quickly made prefabs, unoptimzed ones, that are all over. They are undesirable for at least one of these reasons BUT you and I are right, saying machine is misleading and confusing! We just have different views on it. There is only one view that trumps these two views, that is the Artisan argument.

IF the user does not want to pay a person with a simulation OR a prefab user and they are being told by someone it is "hand painted' or "hand made" and maybe even "from scratch" my point is they mean they wish to pay original creators and NOT someone who just bought a prefab OR not just someone using a cloth simulation software. They want to pay the person who does good art, they wish to pay that person who values selling directlly to the customer maybe? I am not clear, but I assume they don't mean ALL items in SL because they use the phrase to discriminate between some, and they may have good reason why they discriminate with in thier ethical frameworks OR within their idea of what a fashion heirarchy should have. Either way, THEY descriminate and display they have a taste preference, and just like food it is THEM who pays for it and we are both asking and challanging thier definition.

We both turn up empty handed, so I am not saying you are wrong but I can't think they mean simulation or plug-in created but may mean prefabs because it is "cookie cutter" like and "bot like" with no human touch. Either way, we both do see an issue here because what do they mean!?

Yes! There are stores on the marketplace that aren't anywhere in-world, and there are stores in-world that aren't anywhere on the marketplace. Things that are made in-world have to be uploaded to the marketplace manually and then make a picture and description for it. Some people don't want the extra trouble and would rather just set up shop in-world, and vise versa. Definitely don't limit your shopping to one or the other because you'll be missing out. :P

The cloths available on marketplace have nothing to do with being "machine made" vs "hand made" . Its simply a place people can sell their products. 

Many stores have the exact same items from their inworld store on the marketplace as well. There are some old school stores that only sell in world. I'm not sure why of that since the overhead in world is much higher. Some stores put only some items on marketplace to get customers attention to look at their inworld location. Then there are many that only have their products on marketplace. This can vary from new merchants that have not yet become known enough to want to spend the kind of money needed to have an in world store, all the way to long time merchants that have decided the in world stores are too much work and expense to keep maintained but still want to make their product available to their long time loyal customers. The sizes of the merchant stores on marketplace vary from small even one product merchants to ones that have hundreds or more. The same can be said for the in world stores.

I'm not sure what the other poster refers to with the machine vs hand made items. I assume they mean the designers that use the pre made templates as part of their creations. Hate to break it to that person but many in world stores have that too. Those templates aren't machine made since a person had to make the original template to start with. 

As for custom made things . There are many designers that offer the possibility by leaving a message in their mail box. They still make their product the same way as other people. The only differences that might make something be declared "hand made" is if each template and object attachment be it prim flexi mesh sculpt whatever is made by that same person instead of using store bought supplies. 

In the real world us designers still buy our zippers buttons fabric etc instead of reinventing the wheel every time. The only difference in the quality of those items is the quality of the notions we use, the fit of the pattern and the quality of the construction.  That goes the same in sl.. if the notions and supplies we use aren't done well then it will effect the over all garment regardless of how well we construct it. Or if we use the best quality components but throw it together it will effect the quality. 

Bottom line for the original poster. There are items on market that are not available in world and items in world not available on market plus there are plenty of items available in both locations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3934 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.