Tattoo Help

markcallo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been trying to find a tutorial to help me with this particular issue, and will continue to do so, but until then I figured I would touch base with those who have more experience in this area than I do.  Seeing as I am new to creating ANYTHING in Second Life.

I am trying to create some custom tattoos for me and fiance, but I am running into an issue where if I attempt to use text, the text is pretty blurry and difficult to read.  I am also noticing a reduction in sharpness when I upload them to SL.  In GIMP they look much clearer.  Is there a technique to get around this a bit?  I know they will blur the more you zoom closer to them, but trying to mitigate it as much as possible.

Another issue I seem to be experiencing is that when I make changes to a texture, or reupload a texture, when I apply it to my avatar, it distorts the tattoo instead of it looking like the original image.  Is that a Second Life issue, or is it something I can fix in GIMP?

Again, sorry if these questions are "noob", but hey, we all started from somewhere.  I appreciate any and all help.

Textures are downsampled (made smaller) to reach a maximum scale of 512pixels horizontal, 512 pixels vertical (512 by 512px), when applied as clothing layers. They can also be uploaded as 'lossy' or 'non-lossless', which adds blurring to the texture by averaging the colour variation.

• Try uploading as a lossless image, it's a checkbox at the bottom of the texture preview prior to uploading.
  • Make sure in your image editor, that you have maximum quality set (and compression disabled) when saving the image.
  • Alternatively, try setting your photoshop image to 512x512 to see how it will appear in-world.

There isn't much you can do about these limitations without playing around with rigged mesh.

• Like 1

Another issue that might be a play here, and I did not see mentioned, is that if you are taking 2D text and trying to apply it to a avatar which is 3D... Doing this distorts text and pictures. (text is less forgiving)

Think of it as trying to wrap a whole piece of paper with a quote on it around your arm. The words won't line up, if you get the paper perfectly flat. And the paper will bunch up in certain places if you try to get the words to line up.... Etc.. Now imagine cutting words out of the paper and placing them on your arm one by one.. The quote will be shaped to your arm and will line up perfectly..

The best bet is to take a few steps to do the tattoo especially if its on the arms legs or crosses one of the many "seams" in the avatar.   What are those steps?

Well as in previous posts, you can try to get the highest quality of the image uploaded,

Use lossless upload

Use a 512 pixel image to upload.

Use the avatar templates found on the wiki.

Also try adding one word at a time or even depending one letter adjust it to the best place and move to the next one.

Try following the lines on the template, they match up (are a good guide) and it will make it easier when going over seams from one side to the other if that's part of the issue.. You may have to distort the individual letters even to make the look right around certain seams.. Like around the ribs for example.. Keep going until it looks good. Patience is a virtue in making tattoos, keep with it and you will get great results! A good looking tattoo does not happen by luck its time and effort to make it look perfect. ) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.