Using the Chat dialog commands to set an object's state

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3965 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone!

Just wondering how long I can play the noob card (I'm now 4 weeks old, yippee!).

So I bought something on MP, and I enter the commands in "Nearby Chat", but nothing happens.  Does anyone have any knowledge about this - I've been successful with other things, like my firefly emitter.

This is the object, if that helps:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Flexi-hedra-Small-Stellated-Dodecahedron/96519

I tried to contact the creator but I search and it says s/he doesn't exist.  =(

I have the notecard, but out of respect for the creator I won't paste it here of course.  I tried several combinations, of everything I could think of based on what the notecard said, with and without spaces, etc.

For example, if the channel were, 12, I type (I'm standing next to the thing, and I'm on land I own, scripts are allowed, and I'm typing in "Nearby Chat"):

/12#on

And the statement disappears, which is good, meaning it didn't just say it as conversation, but rather it took it as a command.  But nothing happens.  And I try other commands (colour, wind, gravity, etc.), nada.  I try /12 #on, /12 # on, /12# on, /12 <return> #on, etc. etc.

Thanks for the help, and have a grey8 SL Day!

Bleue

Try the creator's Second Life web profile, it still exists and that page does give you the option to send him two kinds of private message, in-world and through the profile's own private messagin system; though he says in it that he's not logging in much, you may have luck dropping him an offline IM.

As for the object... just to make sure: do you have scripts running permission on the parcel where you're trying this thing?

Out of curiosity, I bought one.

Works as stated /5#on etc.

I was going to suggest that scripts were disabled on your land but you said not although they can still be disabled at the region level by someone with Estate Rights.   I would try it somewhere else first.

Unfortunately, it's no mod so you can't reset scripts without using the script reset command in the product which appears to be where you're stuck anyway.  Not sure what else to suggest other than that.

bluelacroix wrote:

/12#on

And the statement disappears, which is good, meaning it didn't just say it as conversation, but rather it took it as a command

A tiny point of clarification.  The statement disappears because it's gone to channel 12 rather than channel 0.  Chat sent to a channel other than 0 will not appear in local chat - whether 'heard' by a script or not.  Scripts can listen whatever channel they want.  So to be entirely clear: If a script is listening on channel 0 and 'takes chat as a command' that chat will not disappear as a result.

Thanks to everyone!!!

That is good to know, about the /0 channel, I understand that now.

But yeah, I still can't get it to work.  And in my in-world people search the creator's name still says 'not found'.  I guess I don't know even how to search for ppl, lol.

Anyways, I'll keep trying - thanks again, and have a Grey8 SL Day!  :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3965 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.