Blender: a dumb question from a newbie.

xoxoJxoxo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys,

Okay - I really would love to learn how to make something in Blender. A singlet, a skirt, some basic and simple piece of clothing! I have played around in Blender for a while and have imported the standard size SL avatars. I would like to work off these.

But... where I am stumped is what to actually do to MAKE the clothes. Do I start with a square, a circle, and somehow mould that square to the avatar, or do I (which is what I have done once before) select all the little triangle bits that would make up a singlet, and then copy it and move it off the avatar and bingo, there's my 'singlet' and then work on prodding and poking it to make wrinkles etc.

What is the first step? I have watched and searched for so many tutorials and I cannot find what it is I'm wanting to learn!

Thank you.

You can start with a cube or a cilinder it doesnt matter. Yes you mold it around the avi. Usually i begin with the cilinder, subdivide And move the vertexes here and there :) some people use generators like marvelous designer it creates clothes with nice wrinkles but meshes thAt need extra cleaning work. I do all my stuff manually cause i think its really fun to model :P. Blender has crease brushes etc i think these are cool to make wrinkles

There are a huge number of videos on how to make clothes for avatars. Some are even made for Second Life.

Machinimatrix.org has excellent video tutorials. If you are more into written tutorials, check out my: Index of Mesh Clothing Tutorials.

Some people have decided that selecting parts of the avatar and duplicating them then slightly scaling them up makes the best base for clothes. It certainly saves on weight painting.

I think most of us start with planes or cylindars. If you take that path, learn what it means to retopologize. 

CG Cookie has great tutorials on all of various parts of making characters (full avatars) and clothes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.