MachiniCam 2 screen recording software

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Folks,

I am developing a windows program to record the screen for machinima, It is called MachiniCam 2. I am looking for beta testers. If you are interested please go to MachiniCam and download the file.

There are a couple of short videos to show how it works. It is really simple.

On the title bar of the application there is a link that says ‘Feedback’. When you click on it you will go to a page where you can tell me how you got on. Or you can just IM me in world.

I hope you like it.

Ohjiro Watanabe

Thanks for your feedback Chic; you make some fair points.

I am an independent programmer from the UK with an interest in machinima. My rl name is Tim Payne and I am using the name A to B Software to trade under. I have been in SL for nearly 6 years.

Why do I have a URL like www.atob.ws (or even atob.ws)? I just liked it because it was short. I got it from here: website.ws. The web site is actually located in the UK and not Western Samoa (but I can dream can't I?).

When I first had a go at making my own machinima I looked around for programs to used. There were a few things that I noticed such as:

Lack of flexibility
Confusing so that it is not immediately obvious how to start recording.
Irrelevant options/features
Emphasis on chrome instead of usability
No preview image
Buttons with odd icons that I didn't understand
Poor quality output
Restricted file size

Of course there is a range of different screen recording programs and the above points may not apply to all of them. You may have your favorite that you are used to and wouldn't consider changing.

I decided that I could put my skills to use to make an application that was specifically aimed at machinima. I designed the interface to make it as simple as possible to start recording with the minimum number of mouse clicks.

I found a free lossless codec that compresses the size of the file but without any loss of quality. This is shipped with MachiniCam.

MachiniCam has no file size restriction, tested up to 15GB.

One reason why some people might consider using my program is that I am actively developing MachiniCam primarily for use creating machinima and that I am in communication with the community.

My hope is that the feedback from people actually making machinima will lead to new features that are really useful. I already have some good feedback that I am acting on and this will result in a second beta release in a short time.

Chic, I hope this gives you the confidence to download the beta and at least give it a try. Maybe there is some feature that you are looking for that I can provide.

Ohjiro

• 2 weeks later...

hi ohjiro!

cool what you do - but i am mac user :)

If i do photographs i dont take it with a screenrecorder and per exactly definition is machinima not screen recording but drawn the rezzed szenery down to the Harddisk .. isn't it? Or even playback in SL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima

Why we dont have such a tool in sl? Would it not be a better service to develope a native machinima tool ;)

Only some thoughts breezing throu my brain ...

• 3 weeks later...

Server Error in '/' Application.

No such host is known

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No such host is known

Source Error:

Line 23:         {Line 24:             ipAddress__1 = IpAddress();
Line 25: hostName = Dns.GetHostEntry(ipAddress__1).HostName;
Line 26:             StreamWriter wrtr = new StreamWriter("C:\\dlFiles\\MachiniCam2visitors.log", true);Line 27:             wrtr.WriteLine(DateTime.Now.ToString() + " | " + ipAddress__1 + " | " + hostName + " | " + Request.Url.ToString());

Source File: c:\inetpub\atob\Default.aspx.cs    Line: 25

Stack Trace:

[socketException (0x2af9): No such host is known]   System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByAddress(IPAddress address, Boolean includeIPv6) +2957644   System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress) +371   _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\atob\Default.aspx.cs:25   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3048

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.