Can someone please tell me the differences between these Graphics Cards?

SLtesterL2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there! Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum to post this thread. Recently, Aliennware has released its new refreshed 2013 models which I think look wonderful. However, during this time I was also planning on purchasing the 2012 models. Now, originally I was going to get the m14x with a 2 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™.p However, since the refresh, this option was removed so all that remains is a 1 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™. Now another thing which I'm not a fan of (but I totally understand) is the price increase but it also has upgraded graphics cards from the 700 series! Now there are 2 available for the system (still a m14x) but I'm currently looking at the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M with 1GB GDDR5. SO please tell me,what are the differences between the
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M with 1GB GDDR5 and 2 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™? Which provides the better performance?

Thank you for your time!

You can go to a place like Tom's Hardware to get a direct comparison of features and benchmarks.

In general the difference between a 500, 600, 700 series cards is the GPU. They are advancing the design of the graphics processing unit to improve performance and add features. The hundreds digit denotes the GPU generation model. The tens digit denotes the horsepowr of that model GPU. A 580 is better than a 560.

While they get signficant improvements between each model, there are very few improvements that SL can take advantage of. But, other games do take advantage of the new features. So, your gaming preferences decide which model you want. The Lab is upgrading the viewer, so having more than what is needed now is a good idea.

The SL Viewer seems to limit texture storage to 512mb of video ram. So, any card with less than 512mb VRAM is going to be slow in SL. Once you are past 1gb of VRAM you won't see much difference in performance. But, if you run multiple programs, more VRAM is a way good thing and you'll see less impact on SL from other programs. Plus at some time the Lab may raise the limit. 2gb is a good choice. But, making an informed price/performance decision is no simple task. Again, try Tom's to see the cards compared numerically and to get best buy recommendations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.