Question about Permissions

Gregory McLeod

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am talking about requesting and granting of permissions.

Is using the

llRequestPermissions(llGetOwner(),PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION);

always necessary when a script is started.

The situation I am having trouble with is creating a HUD.

I have everything working but always get failure to get permission to start or stop an animation. If the HUD is attached to the avatar at the bottom right then the HUD is detached it does not seem to get the permission when it is next attached or worn. I thought when an object is attached it automatically gets the permission to trigger animations.

Is there something I am missing here?

Permissions are automatically granted when an avatar attaches something  or  sits on something.  Permissions are only needed when an object not attached or sat on wants to animate an avatar.   If your HUD is going to animate an avatar other then the wearer, you need to ask permission.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Permissions are automatically granted when an avatar attaches something  or  sits on something.

Not quite. Animation permission should be automatically granted once requested (as in, the user won't receive a prompt), but the script still needs to ask via llRequestPermissions.

@OP:

Your HUD will need to llRequestPermissions every time it is attached, i.e., for every 'session' of use. You should specify this using the attach(key id) event.

PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION is granted automatically if it is requested when the object is attached or sat on. If you forget to request permission, then your script won't start the animation.  It is possible (though bad form) to omit the run_time_permission event that checks to be sure that permission was granted, but the llRequestPermissions function is not optional.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.