Subletting skybox over my land -- limiting tenants' abilities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I live on a private estate and would like to rent out a skybox over my land. I checked this with the estate owner, and she said as long as I make sure the tenants follow the covenant, I can do this. So I set up a skybox over my land and created a second group just for tenants (my land already had a group associated with it for me and my partner). I limited abiities in this second group so that members could only set the skybox as home and create a LM there. They are not supposed to be able to edit, take, sell or return any objects, or change music or any of the other settings for the parcel. However, when I had a friend join this second group (tenants') as a guinea pig, she was able to edit, take, and return any of the objects belonging to the original group associated with the land. The second group's settings seemed to do nothing to limit her abilities.

In such a case, does the original group override the tenants' group? Is there any way I can do this -- rent out this skybox without the tenants being able to fiddle with my stuff?

Thanks!

There is no need to have 2 groups, only one group can be deeded to the parcel.

If your group is deeded to your land, you are the owner of the group, and partner can also owner or officer.

Make in the landgroup a new role, edt and set the limits for that role,then send the invitation to the skyhome tenant and your objects and land are save.

This all depend how you set the permissions in the group role for the skybox.

Tenants have now only the limited permissions when they wear the group tag.

Thanks to you both for your replies. As an experiment, I added my friend to the group and assigned her to the "tenant" role, which I had given very limited abilities. Yet when she activated the group to wear the tag on the land, her role defaulted to "member" rather than "tenant," giving her many more abilities than I would want a tenant to have. Everyone in the group seems to be assigned a "member" role, regardless of any other assigned roles. Is there a way NOT to have a person's role default to "member"? That role seems to be overriding the tenant role.

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that "member" is the role that everyone in a group has access to. The simplest way to do what you want is to go to the "everyone" role and set the permissions to what you want tenants to have and make yourself/your partner "owners" or "officers" with the powers that you currently have. One of you should be an owner already.

I followed the directions carefully: in the group I selected Members & Roles, then added a role name and title, and I limited the permissions. Now my friend is wearing the tag, and she is still able to edit, take and return objects on the land that do not belong to her. The permissions are set so that she should not be able to do this. Her abilities are limited in other ways, e.g, she is unable to sell the land or change music or add/ban lists. But she is able to edit terrain and objects even though those boxes are left unchecked in her permissions. Am I still missing something here?

xxStellalunaxx wrote:

I followed the directions carefully: in the group I selected Members & Roles, then added a role name and title, and I limited the permissions. Now my friend is wearing the tag, and she is still able to edit, take and return objects on the land that do not belong to her. The permissions are set so that she should not be able to do this. Her abilities are limited in other ways, e.g, she is unable to sell the land or change music or add/ban lists. But she is able to edit terrain and objects even though those boxes are left unchecked in her permissions. Am I still missing something here?

Perhaps your friend is assigned multiple roles.  If any her roles have the ability to "Return objects set to group" then she will be able to return them without even having the group active. 

As mentioned earlier everyone has the everyone (Member) role.  That gives everyone the abilities of the everyone role regardless of what group tag is active.  This means you can't limit anyone to less ability than everyone.  You need to reduce the abilities of the everyone role to what you want as a minimum.  Assign other roles with added abilities.

The ability to create objects on land set to allow "Create Objects" only for Group is a special case.  There is not a "create objects" ability in the default everyone role.  Yet anyone who has the group active, regardless of title, will be able to create objects.  The followning line from the knowledge base is somewhat misleading:

Note: When Create Objects is set only to Group in the About Land Options tab, it is necessary to wear the group title from the same group the land is set or deeded to in order to rez objects.

Any group member having a role with the "Always allow 'create objects'" ability can create objects with or without  having the group active.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, my friend was assigned multiple roles -- that of "Everyone" and that of "Tenant." I limited the abilities of Everyone to just a few things (create LM, set to home, etc.). I limited the Tenant role to the same few things. I assigned my friend to both roles. When wearing the Tenant tag on the land, she is still able to edit, take and return items -- it is as if the Tenant role defaults to allowing all abilities. I took away all abilities from everyone but myself, the owner, and still my friend is able to edit. I even removed her from the group, and she is STILL able to edit, even without a group tag. I am so baffled. Why have a group, if anyone can wander onto my land and edit or take my stuff?

xxStellalunaxx wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, my friend was assigned multiple roles -- that of "Everyone" and that of "Tenant." I limited the abilities of Everyone to just a few things (create LM, set to home, etc.). I limited the Tenant role to the same few things. I assigned my friend to both roles. When wearing the Tenant tag on the land, she is still able to edit, take and return items -- it is as if the Tenant role defaults to allowing all abilities. I took away all abilities from everyone but myself, the owner, and still my friend is able to edit. I even removed her from the group, and she is STILL able to edit, even without a group tag. I am so baffled. Why have a group, if anyone can wander onto my land and edit or take my stuff?

Hmmmm... when you say she can edit an object I'm now thinking you mean she can right click it and select Edit.  That would be normal. It would be unusual if she could modify it using that edit.

I might help to zero in on one ability.  The group dialog will show you everyone and every role that has an ability.  Use that to see who has the ability to 'Return objects set to group.'  If your friend is not listed and is able to return objects set to group that sounds like a bug.  You could open a ticket to pursue that.  Now if she isn't on the list it would still be normal if she can right click an object set to group and get 'Return' as an option.  People without the ability should get an exception message when they attempt the return.

Photo below showing the dialog with that ability selected

ability2blr.PNG

My friend is not assigned the ability to Return Objects Set to Group, and yet she can. I, as owner, am now the only member of the group who should have this ability, according to what boxes are checked. She also is able to modify objects, even with the box allowing that ability unchecked. Even more baffling is this: I asked another friend who is not even a member of the group to come onto my land and attempt to modify, return, take objects, etc., and she is able to -- without even being a member of the group!

I am thinking you must be right, that this is a bug. It just doesn't make sense. I have dealt with groups before and have never have these problems. I will open a ticket.

I really appreciate your help, and the help of those others who have tried to help me figure this out!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.