Ever wanted to play a sound at the position of link in a linkset?

Motor Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if any other creators besides myself might be hoping for a LSL feature to control sound playing from links in a linkset. Currently of course, you'll need a seperate script in each link you want to play/loop or trigger a sound - as I'm always looking to optimize my scripting I have a large number of use cases for such a feature.

I've ofcourse asked for some attention to these old Jira feature requests, but was met with the usual "we don't think many would really need that" answers - I mean, it's not like I was asking for support for JSON, which of course atleast 10 people or more in SL might find useful ;-)

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SCR-385

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-23809

So I'm asking here, please let me know if I'm really the only one who thinks LSL is lacking this feature... if I am, I'll just shutup and make some resource hog'ing workarounds, otherwise I wanna get it up on the to-do list for the devs ;-)

- Motor.

Yes. And also recently I wanted to be able to play a sound from a non-HUD attachment just for the owner. However, llPlaySound() is heard by everyone nearby, and I can kludge something up with llTriggerSoundLimited() however, this function ignores the sound queueing features that llPlaySound() has.  You just can't win in SL scripting.

Considering how quickly sounds seem to die out with distance from the emitter, I can see several uses for this. Also the fact that you could control several children prim sound emitters from one script... that would be golden.

Really, anything that cuts down on the number of scripts should be given a green light. Count me in.

Given the fact that only scripts continue to work in No Script parcels, which are in the same prim as the script which took controls, sounds in other prims could still work on vehicles while moving through such No Script parcels.

Personally, the only place I'd likely use this is in vehicles, but if I had it, I'd use it in every vehicle I've ever scripted.

I also can imagine utility in "soundscape" installations, although I've never gotten much into scripting those.

One place where it would not be completely necessary is "one-shot" sound effects, such as looping sounds that play forever, or that change very infrequently; such cases could be adequately served by llRemoteLoadScriptPin() followed by the loaded script removing itself after it starts the sound. All that asset manipulation is far too expensive for real time sound control, but if it's rare enough, that cost could be ignored. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.