LOL Streamlining LINDEX? Opposite effect

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think in a possible work around, but didn't tested it yet (I'll have to pay my premium fee next month)

Today, the best offer to buy is L$257/US$1,00, with 109 million dollars. If one put an offer to buy for 258 L$/US$, will be charged for that, but the order will not be filled in the near future (possibly never).

After the order is there, go to "Transaction History", and cancel it. I think that the dollars will go to your balance, staying there to pay your fees.

Maybe I try soon this in advance of more than one month, but is an idea that can work. If the money is sent back to your CC or PayPall account, one will lose nothing.

P.S. I will have to pay US$ 72 for my premium. If I put an order of L$18500 with a rate of 258 L$/US$, I'll be billed in US$ 72,01 - enough to pay the fee.

Yep. When you go to the "Increase credit" page, you receive this:

"If you came here to add credit to your account in order to place a limit buy, you no longer need to add credit to your account to complete the purchase. We have streamlined the order process so you can now go directly to the Buy L$ page and place your order there. You will be redirected to the cashier to make payment once you place your order."

I think I'm getting my head around it again. If I don't want any L$, and I have to pay LL for something in US$ - tier, land, premium fee, for instance - I can just leave it to them to get it from my credit card.

Sorry for the distraction. That piece of understanding had parted company with my brain for a few minutes.

I understand that the new system affects those who want to work it so they put a fixed amount into their account every month. Couldn't they put the same fixed amount into their L$ account at the same time each month? Or, if both US$ and L$ are needed monthly, couldn't they just buy the L$ they want for the month, and leave LL to collect the US$ part from their credit card each month? If something goes wrong with the payment, as it did to you once (I read back in the thread), LL doesn't immediately close accounts, snatch land, and stuff like that, so there will always be a period of grace to sort it out, as long as LL informs a user of a failed payment. I don't know if they do that.

What puzzles me is why they've changed it.

It's obvious why they did some things. Creating the marketplace was get a slice of all the sales that merchants were making, for instance, and setting a minimum of US$10,000 for them to do a direct bank transfer was because they wanted to get rid of a little bit of work. US$100 is the typical minimum for it, so it's not a hard thing to do. But why prevent people from paying directly into their accounts?

I can't think of any reason except maybe someone at LL thought it would be a good idea, and decided that time can be wasted by doing it, instead of spent doing other more worthwhile things, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the case.

Phil Deakins wrote:

What puzzles me is why they've changed it.

It's obvious why they did some things. Creating the marketplace was get a slice of all the sales that merchants were making, for instance, and setting a minimum of US$10,000 for them to do a direct bank transfer was because they wanted to get rid of a little bit of work. US$100 is the typical minimum for it, so it's not a hard thing to do. But why prevent people from paying directly into their accounts?

I can't think of any reason except maybe someone at LL thought it would be a good idea, and decided that time can be wasted by doing it, instead of spent doing other more worthwhile things, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the case.

You are trying to make sense out of a decision at Linden Lab !?!?!?!   ;)

yes, i know occasionally they make sense. 

Yes this is my issue both Lindens and USD needed each month, and yes, it 'can' be done just as you say; I just don't personally like LL dipping into my account, I'd prefer to place the $$ where I need them, myself.   Lucretia has worked out a method it looks like, but look how cumbersome that is, to have to deal with and figure all that out every month, like nobody has anything to do except figure out how to pay LL each month.  That's arrogant and annoying as hell.  And I am also well aware that it's my peers reading this, no one from LL, so they don't even know how arrogant and annoying they are being, nor do they care. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yesterday was the time that my land tiers were to be billed at.

I had the money on my creditcard, I watched my SL account about every hour.

I went to bed, woke up, checked my creditcard, money was still there.

Went to the SL website to check my account and was greeted with: 

There is a problem with your account

Yeah.... way to streamline it, lol...

So, the old way of ensuring that Linden Labs would have my money in their greedy grubby hands well before the billing date, to ensure that there would be no glitch in payment and my account would be safe and sound, has been streamlined to where I now have to watch my account like a hawk around billing time, so I can manually run the payment, so my account doesn't end up in LL-induced limbo-land... which would mess up my group.

And the "solution" which they steamrolled - oops, "streamlined" us into, is that instead of the complex way of simply depositing US$ into our accounts, we now can simply... buy L$ from them, which we can then sell back to them, but if we pay them 10 US$ for 1000 L$ (not accurate rates, just numbers pulled out of my rear for example's sake) and then sell them back those same 1000 L$, I'm pretty sure that we won't be getting the full 10 US$ back so we'll actually have to buy more than the value needed to top up our accounts that way.
If I'm wrong on the part of charges/fees/rates/whatnots then I stand corrected and it actually would be a better thing than I assumed, but it wouldn't exactly be a streamlined thing, after all... it'd just have added an extra, unneccisary step in the process of topping up our accounts.

Asked this in a smaller thread; apologies if you see it twice. Hoping you SL veterans can help me figure out what the change means ... 

So several people chip into our private estate by providing Lindens.I then sell those lindens and create a cash balance in the account.  That doesn't reach the full $295. Every month, I've added some of my own cash to the account to reach the $295. And that was all wonderful, but it sounds like there's been a change.

A couple years ago, I didn't have enough in the account and the Lindens skipped over the cash I had and pulled all $295 out of my credit card. I'd prefer to avoid that. 

Hopefully, what they will do in this new system is collect the $210 in the account and only grab the $85 from my credit card. If anyone knows different and they'll charge me all $295, please let me know so I can appropriately panic.

Karl Shergood wrote:

Asked this in a smaller thread; apologies if you see it twice. Hoping you SL veterans can help me figure out what the change means ... 

So several people chip into our private estate by providing Lindens.I then sell those lindens and create a cash balance in the account.  That doesn't reach the full $295. Every month, I've added some of my own cash to the account to reach the $295. And that was all wonderful, but it sounds like there's been a change.

A couple years ago, I didn't have enough in the account and the Lindens skipped over the cash I had and pulled all $295 out of my credit card. I'd prefer to avoid that. 

Hopefully, what they will do in this new system is collect the $210 in the account and only grab the $85 from my credit card. If anyone knows different and they'll charge me all $295, please let me know so I can appropriately panic.

I'd sure as heck send this question to billing support and see if they can't give you a specific answer.

This is something that has the possibility of pissing a lot of people off.

OK. I found a workaround increase credit. At the end of the month I will have to pay my annual premium (US$ 72).

I went to Buy L$ page (be sure that Advanced Settings are shown).

Today, there are about 80 million L$ offered to buy at 257 L$/US$. I put an order to buy L$18640 at a rate of 260 L$/US$ in Limit Buy. [edit] This way I am sure that the order will not be filled before I can cancel it :smileytongue:

LimitBuy.png

Than, I went to Transaction History, and canceled the order. The money went to my account as US Dollar credit:

Account.png

Vania Chaplin wrote:

OK. I found a workaround increase credit. At the end of the month I will have to pay my annual premium (US$ 72).

I went to
page (be sure that Advanced Settings are shown).

Today, there are about 80 million L$ offered to buy at 257 L$/US$. I put an order to buy L$18640 at a rate of 260 L$/US$ in Limit Buy. [edit] This way I am sure that the order will not be filled before I can cancel it :smileytongue:

Than, I went to
, and canceled the order. The money went to my account as US Dollar credit:

I was wondering if that would work and was going to check it out the next time I needed to buy.

Thanks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.