Got new computer that is more than capable or running SL at max settings, but cant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I got a new computer and need help because I can't even run basic shaders with it and its drving me crazy. Here's my specs taken from Firestorm :

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz (2993.28 MHz)
Memory: 16280 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 645/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1106
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

I realize the graphics card is a newer one on the market, and is unsupported by SL, is there any way around that so I can see shaders and even better shadows again? The card itself is more than capable of running everything, just the viewers won't let me

If SL does not recognize your graphics card, it will set you graphics to low.  But you should be able to set them to higher values in the prefrences - graphics window.  (With Advanced turned on.)  I am using the standard SL viewer and find that it lets me set the graphics up even to values higher than I can use.   I think Firestorm is similar.  

TKR

See it? Your Nvidia card is running on a Microsoft driver. Please go directly to Nvidia's website and download the driver from there. Maybe that wil help you to get the best out of your GPU. At least you get the latest driver version then, which never hurts anyway.

Orca just gave  good advice about checking for a current driver at the Nvidea website.  And I would add, never let Microsoft update your  graphics driver.  I doubt that a new driver will fix the problem, but a driver update is good anyway.

My card is now on the recognized list, so I can't test, but it was not when I first got it.   I did not have the problem you are seeing.  This sounds like a bug.   My suggestion for next step is:

File a bug report here:

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

or join the Phoenix-Firestorm group inworld and ask for help.  

TKR

MelissaMayberry wrote:

Hi, I got a new computer and need help because I can't even run basic shaders with it and its drving me crazy. Here's my specs taken from Firestorm :

CPU: Intel® Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz (2993.28 MHz)

Memory: 16280 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

I realize the graphics card is a newer one on the market, and is unsupported by SL, is there any way around that so I can see shaders and even better shadows again? The card itself is more than capable of running everything, just the viewers won't let me

There have been Firestorm JIRA's about certain video cards that are listed incorrectly in the table that the viewers use to look up the potential settings for video cards. If you do a search you should be able to find this JIRA - if I remember right it has instructions for editing this table so the card will be recognized. In any event you should file or comment on the JIRA so that your card is recognized as one of the problem children.

the latest driver from nvidia is Version: 9.18.0013.2018.

my stats from the FS vewer say:

Graphics Card: GeForce 9800 GT/PCIe/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.2018

i don't think the "Windows Graphics Driver" means its using the Microsoft driver as my PC doesnt have a microsoft driver installed. It is a Windows PC so it says that on just about every driver.

I am having this exact same problem. I literally just got this computer in the mail today. 

I already checked that the graphics driver is up to date on the NVIDIA website, by the by.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (2394.55 MHz)
Memory: 8140 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (Build 9200)
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1127

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

I've ticked some box of the Nvidia site and they are sending me notification with link when a new driver becomes available. It's super easy. I'm on 320.18 for Win7 64bit and dunno exactly on which version I'm on Linux. Not upgrading as regularly as my Windows driver. I guess the current driver is even a one-for-all thing and covers pretty much every Nvidia GeForce card ever made, from the 9xxxx series up to the latest 6xx. So my Zotac GTX260 is covered as well as your GTX465. That's another good thing about Nvidia: their stuff just works. Unlike the Radeon garbage by a certain competitor.

And if my card says it's a Nvidia GTX I wouldn't even bother checking if it's on the recommended list but just assume it is so. FFS it's from the world's biggest and best GPU manufacturer.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

the latest driver from nvidia is Version: 9.18.0013.2018.

my stats from the FS vewer say:

Graphics Card: GeForce 9800 GT/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.2018

i don't think the "Windows Graphics Driver" means its using the Microsoft driver as my PC doesnt have a microsoft driver installed. It is a Windows PC so it says that on just about every driver.

Right, that text "Windows Graphics Driver Version" indeed does not mean that the driver is provided by Microsoft.

I have NVidia's driver installed on Windows 7.  Here is the info what I get:

Viewer tells:

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1422

Windows device manager tells:

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Driver Provider: NVIDIA

Driver Version: 9.18.13.1422

So the device manager confirms that I do have NVidia's driver installed.

I got the problem solved for my GPU, Peaches, basically the problem is that my graphics card was not listed in the GPU table for Firestorm. I went to the Firestorm Jira site someone posted a link to earlier in the thread and read up on it, then took the GPU list and modified it so that my GPU was included . It fixed everything for me and I posted it on the Jira site, but the fix is only for my specific card, you can go there and give them the info on your card and they can update their list so you can use all the options with your card. It wasn't a driver problem in the end

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.