my laptop shuts down completely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This comes up often enough that Google would have answered this faster.  If it's under warranty, call the manufacturer and have them clean it.  Otherwise, you need to take it apart and get all the dirt out of the fans and ducts.  Blasting through the vents is probably insufficient if you have pets, live in a humid climate, and/or smoke. If you have a Compaq or HP, you're probably screwed, HP doesn't really care about proper cooling under load, and Compaq is HP's discount brand.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

Yeah, I lost a lappy under similar conditions. It just shut down completely in shorter and shorter intervals ... until some day, in the middle of a Linux updating, it crapped out completely.:smileysurprised: And it was a "good" laptop, a 1100 € Asus. :smileysad:

The best, or worst, thing about my lappy's dead was that I knew about the overheating problem. I already operated it on a fanned cooling stand and had the whole bottom cover taken off. Stil it wasn't up to the task of running SL on ultra graphics.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.