Info about HUDs

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the scripting section. I came here to ask some questions about HUDs. I plan to release my first mesh hair for my shop and I wanted to incorporate an HUD or script menu thingy that allowed the buyer to change hair colour. I also plan to release some hair accessories, that have more elaborate parts (let's say 3 textures/faces (?)) and I want to have an HUD that allows me to change the textures, one at the time. For example, let's say the accessory is a ribbon with a bow, both have their own material and an asortment of textures for each. I want to be able, in SL, to click on the mesh, select either "bow" or "ribbon" and then select a texture and it will apply.

I think this is possible in SL, I'm curious about how it works and what I need to prepare.

I don't intend to learn scripting; I was thinking of hiring someone to do this for me or find an easy scripting tool in the marketplace (suggestions are welcomed), I just wanted to know what I need to prepare. Aside from assigning different materials to the parts I want textured, and making the correcponding textures based on the UV maps, what else do I need to provide to the scripter?

Oh yes, I use Blender 2.66 for meshing.

Thank you for the info!

Welcome to LSL Scripting, the forum used to "Discuss scripting tips and techniques with other inworld developers.' If you have a specific question or have encountered a problem with a script you are writing, this is definitely the right forum to come to. 

However, since you are not writing a script and have no intention of ever learning, may I suggest the Wanted or Inworld Employment forums to seek the help you require in meeting your needs.

Whether you write your own script or not, I applaud you for at least thinking ahead about design considerations that you should have in mind before you hire a scripter.  Take a look at

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/HUD

http://secondview.wordpress.com/2007/12/05/scripting-snippets-7-creating-a-hud/

Google is your friend here too.

Then, as Leprekhaun says, post a query in the InWorld Employment forum to find a scripter you can work with.

It's not mandatory by any means, but it will certainly simplify life a lot if, when you prepare the textures, you try to ensure that they have the same offsets, repeats and rotations, at least for the textures used on particular faces.  

If you can't do it that way, it's not the end of the word.   It just simplifies life for the scripter if you can.

Also, I would discuss the hud design with the scripter at an early stage -- if you want an attractive one based on a texture on a single prim, for example, there are ways of laying out the design that will simplify things a great deal.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.