when i put a pic in the game after i had it to photoshop......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello , i am having a big problem , i take a pic of my alt avy wearing my creations and i use photoshop to make  them , put my logo and .......

1 mesh outfit with skirt-2 tops &boots.jpg

this is an example , i upload it to the game and then  to the vendores , now when you look at it in very near way it is so blurred if you see it from not so near  its ok , why?what am i doing wrong? can anyone help me? why in the game they are so blurred if you go to near and look  at the pic at the vendors?

thanks for reading me 

It looks pixelated, exactly as if you use one of the png file formats that are palette based

For png make sure you use 16.7 mill colors i.e. 24 bit colors or you could use another file format like tga or jpg

512 by 512 pixels should look better than what you show here

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

(I take it the picture looks super in photoshop before you upload?)

Dora Gustafson wrote:

It looks
pixelated, exactly as if you use one of the png file formats that are palette based

For png make sure you use 16.7 mill colors i.e. 24 bit colors or you could use another file format like tga or jpg

512 by 512 pixels should look better than what you show here

:smileysurprised:
:)
:smileyvery-happy:

(I take it the picture looks super in photoshop before you upload?)

One must keep in mind that images uploaded into these forums are not equivalent to those uploaded into SL. The JPEG protocol has nothing to do with JPG2000 other than sharing some letters.

Image size 512 x 512 should look ok on vendors.

Save the image as 24 bits/per pixel  png or tga file and upload that into SL.

I noticed that all the edges are very jagged in your photo.  I guess you had no antialiasing on in your viewer when you took the snapshot?  Put antialiasing to value 2x or 4x.  Take a snapshot and then you will have smooth edges all over.

In the viewer you can do it in:

"Preferences, Graphics, Hardware --> Antialiasing"

Anti-aliasing-missing.jpg

kalliopi Ziplon wrote:

Hello , i am having a big problem , i take a pic of my alt avy wearing my creations and i use photoshop to make  them , put my logo and .......

1 mesh outfit with skirt-2 tops &boots.jpg

this is an example , i upload it to the game and then  to the vendores , now when you look at it in very near way it is so blurred if you see it from not so near  its ok , why?what am i doing wrong? can anyone help me? why in the game they are so blurred if you go to near and look  at the pic at the vendors?

thanks for reading me 

Within your graphics program, your texture is as you see it, one pixel is assigned a specific color- all the pixels combine to show the texture. But once you have assigned your texture to a material face in Second Life, it behaves differently, the visual information becomes "texels" (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texel_(graphics) ). With the information encoded as texels, one can view it at an angle, zoom in and out from it and map it all the while to a (possibly) irregular surface,

A direct effect of using texels in 3D is there will be an optimal viewing distance- too far away or too close and the texture loses definition. If one wishes to counter the first, a larger texture is required. To counter the second, higher resolution is required.

LepreKhaun wrote:

If one wishes to counter the first, a larger texture is required. To counter the second, higher resolution is required.

I wonder why resolution comes up ever so often when talking about textures in Second Life?  Resolution has no meaning at all in Second Life textures - and not in any 3D surface texturing.  It does not exist there.  The image size in pixels is all that matters in Second Life.

More about this matter here (in Chosen Few's post):

Texture Size, Pixel Counts, Video Memory, and File Formats

kalliopi Ziplon wrote:

no i did not use anything i do not know how to use them i am new to all this 

Press: Ctrl-P

The "PREFERENCES" window pops up.

Click the "Graphics" tab.

Click the "Harware" button.

The "HARDWARE SETTINGS" window pops up.

Set the antialising to 2x or 4x.  Click OK.  (This setting might need relogging to take effect.)

After that take your snapshot and you will have beautiful photo without jagged edges.

Anti-aliasing-setting.jpg

I am almost certain that the viewer's antialiasing can not cure the OP's texture
That leaves two places where it may go wrong:

1. In image rescaling
  2. In the image file

May I suggest the following workflow to make a good file for upload

1. Rescale the picture to 512 by 512 pixels
  2. Look at and if it is pixelated you should use some different settings for the rescaling
  3. Save the picture in the preferred file format: png, jpg, jpeg, tga or bmp
  4. Load the file back in your image edit program for examination
    If the image is pixelated some settings for the chosen file format are not right.
    Use 24 bit color depth only and nothing paletted.
    Don't save alpha channels
  5. When you are happy with the result you can upload it

I copied the image from your post, uploaded it to SL (as a png file, without changing anything) and put it onto a prim.

This is how it looks (my avatar standing by it):

Snapshot_001.png

Your image looks quite ok to me.

PS.
Naturally if in SL if you zoom very close to the image it will look blurred.
Same thing happens in your image editing software if you zoom into it.

There is no such magic on raster images that they can retain their sharpness when zooming in.

Coby Foden wrote:

LepreKhaun wrote:

If one wishes to counter the first, a larger texture is required. To counter the second, higher resolution is required.

I wonder why resolution comes up ever so often when talking about textures in Second Life?  Resolution has no meaning at all in Second Life textures - and not in any 3D surface texturing.  It does not exist there.  The
image size in pixels
is all that matters in Second Life.

More about this matter here (in Chosen Few's post):

I was not using the term resolution in the sense of dpi, which is meaninglkess within SL. A larger image size covering the same area as a smaller one has a higher resolution and the same sized image covering a larger area w/o repeats loses resolution. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

Edited to correct my original posting for clarity:

A direct effect of using texels in 3D is there will be an optimal viewing distance- too far away or too close and the texture loses definition. If one wishes to counter the first, a larger texture area is required. To counter the second, higher resolution is required.

kalliopi Ziplon wrote:

thanks for trying to help out , i have seen  others  pic of clothes in vendores and they are so clear if you see them for a very closed way  , not as mine do
:(

When everything else fails for you there is only one way to improve the vendor picture:

use 1024×1024 pixels instead of 512×512 pixels.

But remember that your customers will get a download time four times bigger

They can download only 10, 1024×1024 pixel pictures at the same time it takes to download 40, 512×512 pixel pictures

(roughly)

LepreKhaun wrote:

I was not using the term resolution in the sense of dpi, which is meaninglkess within SL. A larger image size covering the same area as a smaller one has a higher resolution and the same sized image covering a larger area w/o repeats loses resolution. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

Ok, that is clear, now I understand what you meant.  Thank you for the clarification.  :smileyhappy:

kalliopi Ziplon wrote:

thanks for trying to help out , i have seen  others  pic of clothes in vendores and they are so clear if you see them for a very closed way  , not as mine do
:(

Hmm... very strange.  Could you perhaps post a snapshot here how your picture looks inworld?  Also a comparison snapshot of somebody else's vendor?  Else it's a bit difficult to clearly understand what is the problem.

512 x 512 pixels size image should be ok for a vendor.  Unless your vendor is a very big one.

What are the dimensions (in meters) of your vendor surface where the picture is shown?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.