Can't see fire--phoenix viewer

Ruby Reynaud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone! I am using phoenix viewer (I know, I know, it's not being updated anymore) and I was messing with my settings one day and just realized that both fire and water don't move in my viewer.  If I look at  a fire I see static unmoving and seperate 'stills' of a flame but no movement. Water is also static. 

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Thanks!

Ruby

12 answers to this question

If you can see even that much, then you are looking at something that was supposed to be an animated texture.  If an animated flame isn't moving, my first guess would usually be that the script that animates it is busted.  If all animated flames are static for you, though, I'd guess that your viewer is busted.  That's not too surprising, since you know that Phoenix has been unsupported since last Fall and has no more than another couple of weeks of life now.  This would be a very good time to upgrade to Firestorm.

• Like 1

Thanks! Yes it's all flames and all water. And yes, I would love to upgrade to Firestorm and have been round and round with the Firestorm Mac help people who have been very helpful but no one so far has been able to help me figure out how to run FS without crashing. :( Thanks for your answer though!

Hi rolig, thanks for asking! I'm not that tech savvy so I can't even tell you what i've been advised to do to try and fix it--but I spent several hours talking with various people, doing what they suggested and to no avail. I crash with SL viewer and Firestorm. Singularity does work for me though. It's the same with both viewers--I log on and usually before my inventory even totally loads I crash. I just suddenly realize I can't move and then I have to actually reboot my modem as I lose my internet connection completely.

So you're not crashing at all, then? You're disconnecting? No error messages? If that's the case, it's not your viewer. The V3-level viewers are more sensitive to crummy Internet connections than Singularity is, but they aren't causing the problem -- just reacting to it. Open Help >> About Singularity, copy the information that's there (highlight and CTRL + C) and then paste it in a new note back here. Let's see what it says.

Singularity works fine for me, but you mean you want to see what singularity says? Im happy for the help..but just confirming that's what you want to see? And if it's my internet wouldn't the same thing happen with the 2 viewers that do work for me (it never does)?

The Internet doesn't know what viewer you are using, so it will be the same no matter what. Singularity is a much simpler viewer than Firestorm or V3, though, so if the Internet is flaky, Singularity might not notice. Since you can use Singularity, open its Help menu as I suggested and let's see what it says about your Internet. You should probably also go to http://speedtest.net/ and measure your download bandwidth. If those bits of information still don't tell us what's going on, we can try other things.

Thanks for your help Rolig! here is the info from Singluarity:

Singularity Viewer 1.7.2 (2956) Sep 15 2012 23:09:17 (Singularity)

Release Notes

Grid: Second Life

Built with GCC version 40201

You are at 257429.8, 254692.9, 39.2 in Carlovitz located at sim10335.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.50.57:13007)

Second Life RC LeTigre 13.04.05.273580

Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E7600 @ 3.06GHz (3060 MHz)

Memory: 4096 MB

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.36

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.3 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.635, Runtime: 1.4.0.635

Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.42.02

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Packets Lost: 0/2278 (0.0%)

Hmmmm... Well, a couple of things catch my attention quickly. One is that you have a rather old graphics card. It's not obsolete by any means, but the GeForce 9400 has been around for a few years. More significantly, you are using a very old Mac operating system (OS X 10.6.8 ). That system meets the minimum requirements for running the V3 viewer, but just barely. You really ought to have upgraded to a more current version long ago. Taken together, those two observations suggest to me that your computer is old enough that it may have trouble running V3 or Firestorm. There's one thing you might try, though. Open Preferences >> Graphics >> Hardware and UNcheck the box for OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects (VBO). You might also want to set your Graphics Quality slider to Medium rather than High. Those two changes will give you lower performance than you may be used to, but that might keep you from dying. In the end, I suspect that the best solution is to upgrade or replace your computer (or stay with Singularity). :(

Hi Rolig!

Thank you so much for your time and help!! Okay well at least I know not to spend anymore time trying to figure out how to 'fix' my problem! I wish I could upgrade my IMAC graphics card but that involves just buying a new computer! I will update the operating system as the next step; I always run graphics on medium and the VBO box is unchecked. Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.