human reference photos

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure where to put this question because its more than just fashion and there doesnt seem to be a general creation forum.

anyway, Ive been looking for DAYS for a good human reference photo library and the ONLY one I can find is 3d.sk. which is like 39 bucks UK...not sure what that will be in US. so really two questions

does anyone have experience with it...hesistant because they demand a subscription right up front and Im not sure how easy it will be to cancel it. I just need a few images not perpetual images but they dont seem to care about that kind of shopper.

second question, is there an alternative source for full body human reference photos. I need standing front and back, none of that posed kinda imagery. if I wanted posed I would use stock photography. stock photography only has poses.

grrrrr its hard to believe there really is only one resource like this for game development and human texturing.

Ideas?

Let me append this a bit. I dont want poses. Im looking for full body NUDE standing references so that I can start creating my own skin from scratch. the same way 3D developers do--though in their case they often use these same types of poses to wireframe avatars. So its not just any pose. you need to find a body -- standing -- arms out and you get camera angles from front, back and side among others. 3D.sk has some stellar options and from my research they come highly recommended. it just seems odd that they would be the ONLY source for something like this.

I did search deviant art but the options for the type of pose I wanted were clothed and the options for nude were not in the correct pose. that is why I asked here. I have googled extensively. I dont need a body sans skin which is what you get a LOT of using human reference as a search term. use anything related to game development and you get tutorials with references to 3d.sk being better than most, but "most" never named.

Hence, the question are there any other sites like this out there. so, I think my first question was answered by some blender.org folks, yes, 3d.sk is reputable.

so far no one seems to be able to point to anything similar. and maybe SL was not the correct forum to query. I think Ill try asking in the blender forum. 

thanks anyway everyone.

Tenly

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to recommend Deviant Art because imo it's the best source for nude reference images(and free at that), but from your comment it doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. 

You can otherwise try Pose Space. They have male and female nude models in all different kinds of poses (I am assuming there is at least one T-stance somewhere) and additional photos simulating a 360 rotation of each pose. It requires a subscription I think, but I do remember getting a free pack of poses from them before(I never opened a subscription). I can't recall all of the details because one of my drawing instructors recommended this site to me a few years ago so it's been a while, but I would definitely recommend at least checking it out. :) They have good lighting too so you can see the musculature on the models skin pretty well to get an idea of placement and whatnot. I don't know about you but to me it's really annoying when the light source is either too ambient so there are no shadows, or too harsh where half of the person is in pure darkness.

Oh and also, I found this really awesome skintone color palette from a deviant art user that I've been using for mine on IMVU (another place where I am a creator). The palette is great because it includes every tone from porcelain to ebony and they give you the base color, midtones, shadows, highlights, etc. Anyway, I imagine that it'll definitely be of use when painting your skins. :D

And on the off-chance that you're looking more for images to photosource from rather than use for reference while painting, I can't help you there, sorry. ;o

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.